Washington DC

Name
David Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just thought i'd post a few from the flying visit to DC last weekend on the way to Nevada. I was feeling a bit mono, C&C welcome!

2093805989_ca51f63bbd_b.jpg

2094611414_c52299d477_b.jpg

2093899981_2bdbbbf021_b.jpg

nice set, number one for me:) number 3 looks like it could do with straighten a bit other than that nicely done.

Hi Dizzy,

Number 3 for me, could do with that straighten that TOOTHIE said but, this pic made me stop and look a while longer than usual, something to do with those flags representing people(I think) I like it:clap:.

Ooh I like those, I was in DC a few months ago, reminds me I must get round to processing them all. I shot in colour, but looking at those I might have a go at converting some to mono.
Number two for me, If it were mine I'd tweek it a bit more to add a bit more contrast, and clone out two birds in the sky as I find they take away from the fantastic sky.

like them
bit of straightening
and I agree with nuking the birds in #1

such a shame they put such tatty fencing up tho!

Like these, #1 & #3 are my faves.... beautiful monos.

I also think a cropped version of #1 works fabulously.
Just the upper 3rd, with the dramatic cloud, you have the digaonal, & the spire piercing through to the inky sky.
Simply beautiful!

Hard to choose a favourite! Excellent set: framing, composition and conversions all work really well for me.

Something about this set reminds me of 60s images, maybe from a Hitchcock film!

Not so keen on the first, the third is a good shot but the second stands out for me.

Cheers folks. The flags in the third one were there as part of a demonstration for what's known as 'don't ask, don't tell'. Each flag is supposed to represent a hundred (i think) people within the US Armed forces who are gay and not allowed to be open about it. They're thrown out of the forces in the same way it used to be in the UK, hence don't ask and don't tell.

great pics but the bird in the middle of pic 2 draws me to it straight away good work though

Great shots, like the B&W.... and yes the birds have to go!

Wow. I dont say that often, so be proud.
2 and 3 are great shots

crikey. Thank you! I'll see about cloning out that bird in 2 i think

Great set!

I've been wanting to get to the US for years!

thanks!

Great shots dizzy.

I will look at your other shots when I get home as the work pc will not allow to view them.

The Mall has many great photo opportunities I especially like the Korean War Memorial and the Ab Lincoln Statue. If you get out there for the start of the spring you'll see a spectacular display of blossom in that area and along by the Potomac.

I've got some of the korean memorial but can't remember if I put them on the flickr. I'll have a look. A lot of taxi drivers said the cherry blossom was quite spectacular. Think i'll have to settle for spring in the desert though this year!

The reflecting pool is utterly incredible if you catch it when the wind dies down.

I love just walking round D.C., really beautiful—the government parts, anyway. I'd love to go again.

Unfortunately, it was blowing a gale the whole weekend! Would love to get there for a still dawn shot. Having said that, not sure how safe that would be...

I like no. 2 best but would crop a bit more foreground to make it more of a panorama...Ian

cheers Ian. It's great how we all see different things from a shot!

Great set, number 3 for me (y)

thanks tel48

lol cheers Gandhi!

I'm agreeing witth number 2 too. I love the gull and the row of landing birds (geese?) in te background. Makes the water feel like a runway. And the clouds are amazing.

Very crisp lens, is that the kit lens or your 50? Looks a little wide for the prime, but too good to be the kit??

believe it or not, it was the kit. Quite a wide aperature if memory serves me correctly. it could be one of the last time I use it as the 17-40L is on it's way!

Wow - if that is the kit then I guess it goes to show that it is not the lens that makes a good photograph. Nice job!

It also shows that all those hours spent reading reviews are a complete waste of time better spent getting out there with a basic lens and taking some shots.
Cheers for that, I feel better about having my plasticy 18-55mm and D40 now! I'm off out!:LOL:

get out there and enjoy!

Back