Wasia firmware hack

First off.......

The firmware change is not supported or acknowledged by Canon in any way shape or form, if the installation goes wrong it can kill the camera.

That said, i've not read of any failed installs and i'm pretty sure you could attempt to reboot it again with official firmware. :)

The altered firmware brings a few other handy features, from what i've read you'll gain ISO 3200 and mirror lock up along with flash exposure compensation.

if your going to try it, download the current canon firmware and keep it safe, and make sure you follow the install instructions to the letter.
The site where the download comes from has full instructions as well as a list of features and how to access them using the new button press sequences.

All sounds a bit too scary. And would i use the new features? I dunno if it is worth the risk.

got to do a thing on the wasia hack when time allows!

Digital SPG said:
All sounds a bit too scary. And would i use the new features? I dunno if it is worth the risk.

In all my time as a 300 owner, i didn't ever feel i needed the extra features, so i did nothing more than read about it.

The wasia firmware has been modified and replaced over the last year or so, and pretty much all the nasty stuff has been ironed out, that said......could you afford to replace the camera if it killed it?

There are thousands of people using this firmware......

so, you need to think like dirty harry and ask your self

Do you feel lucky.................!

No and err no.

If i ever feel the need to use one of the missing features then i guess i will reconsider. There no point in doing it for the sake of it.

It's difficult to recommend the hack officially, just in case it does any harm. It will theoretically invalidate the warranty, but that could probably be overcome by reinstalling the approved firmware if ever you needed to send the camera for repair.

The 300D (and the 10D) has a bootloader, which means that it automatically detects new firmware on the CF card when you switch it on, and installs it automatically. In theory at least, you can always restore the firmware even if it becomes corrupted. The 20D does not have a bootloader, so it relies on running the operating system in order to install an updated version. That caused a few problems when Canon released the first firmware update for the 20D, which had a bug in it!

One of the first things I did when I got my Rebel was install wasia, mirror lockup is worth it all in itself. I shoot raw exclusively and the ability to compress the embedded jpegs means I get more images per card than I would without it. I really wanted 2nd curtain flash sync but it doesn't work even when enabled. Canons' 7 point autofocus is to my mind a pain in the a*** so I set focus to centre point only (it's a feature of wasia but I don't know if it's available without)

In all Wasia is painless to install and has done no harm to my camera.

Digital SPG said:
Is it worth getting the hack for the 300D. What are the pluses and what are the down falls?

Other than what Failure said above

"The firmware change is not supported or acknowledged by Canon in any way shape or form, if the installation goes wrong it can kill the camera."

There are no other problems I have had at all and I've had the wasia installed since day 1. It makes shooting allot easier having the easier to access functions as well as FEC and mirror lockup which greatly help.

mrk how is that going to affect your camera repair, or did you slip firmware back on it before taking it to shop?

hehe, i see...

Back