Water Collision HELP!!!

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Im trying to get some collision shots of water drops - but i cant for the life of me get it to work.

My drops aren't colliding but are instead coalescing when they meet. I have attached an example.

4792633581_b726be82b2_b.jpg

I'm using a set up similar to those described in other threads in here but the collisions arent happening - is there a secret to it???

I've got a burette dropping constant sized drops at a constant rate between 5-10 drops per second. I've put the rinse aid in the dropping water etc.

I'm pretty sure that what your seeing there is the top of a spout and not a drop joining it. If you dye the base water one colour and the dropping water another you'll see what I mean. I've a thread further down the page which shows it quite well. Have a look in the tutorials section for Ashmash's tutorial on collisions.
I use a much faster drop rate than 5-10 drops/sec. In fact I open the valve to a steady stream and then turn it back a tad, the drops are too fast to count. I use a dropping hieght of about 45cm too.
Your lighting and focus look spot on, so increase the flow and give it another shot!
HTH

Last edited:
I agree with Rhod! You need to drop much faster than 5-10 per second and tbh I'd lose the rinse aid for now, just use plain water, preferably pre-boiled then cooled and as Rhod says try using different colours, main reason here being that when you do get the collisions they will be much more pleasing.... Final tip: I don't know what you are using for a nozzle, but those things cake decorators use are perfect, usually come in a range of sizes so you can really fine tune the drop rate :)

Edit: Sorry forgot to say ... Rhod is correct that what you can see in your shot is the end of the column forming, a fraction of a second later and you would see the top bit separate from the column. If you had the speed of the drops correct! The second drop should have collided with the first!

Last edited:
Back