Water (Large Images)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
Yes
This first is my very fave shot, I do like the odd waterfall, slow exposure photograph. I have added the Exif info I have available under each shot if I have it, but I use Psp7 which strips Exif information, so some details are slightly different as I'm taking the info from the original.

Hope you like them, and as always I welcome all comments or criticism.

a120b.jpg

Model : Canon EOS 10D
DateTime : 2004:02:13 01:28:17
FNumber : F22.0
ISOSpeedRatings : 100
ShutterSpeedValue : 8.00Sec
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
Flash : Not fired
FocalLength : 75.00(mm)

a121.jpg

Exif details the same as above

xxImg_6795x7.jpg

Exif Unknown, I guess its pretty much the same too

xxImg_6795x11.jpg

Model : Canon EOS 10D
DateTime : 2004:02:13 01:51:47
ExposureTime : 4.00Sec
FNumber : F22.0
ISOSpeedRatings : 100
ShutterSpeedValue : 4.00Sec
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
Flash : Not fired
FocalLength : 28.00(mm)
ExposureMode : Manual
WhiteBalance : Auto
Saturation : +1
Sharpness : +1

Great shots but I have to disagree with you as the last shot is the best for me.

More depth and with the bridge in the background makes it look so much more inviting :) Very similar to our nearby woods which I'm waiting for a sunny day to visit :D

I cant wait to try the long exposure shots again after learning from my last waterfall shots.

great shots, i like the first and last best, the rest are nice also.

i have a dn4 filter now so roll on nice weather!

superb shots all of them i do like the first one but i would have been tempted to move the twigs on the right as my eye keeps going to it, i would be proud of those they look great, nice location to.

They are all good IMO, but if I had to choose it would be the last one for much the same reasons as Jase. One of the things that makes them all is that you've managed to exclude any hint of a bright sky burning through. That generally wrecks woodland shots because the general scene is fairly dark, and a bright, overexposed sky is not only distracting, but can also cause purple fringing of the branches even with decent lenses.

I'm interested that you had both saturation and sharpness set to +1. I'd have thought that an unsharp mask filter would do a better job that the in-camera sharpening algorithm, but maybe I'm wrong again!

As i have said previously, I really like this kind of shot. My fave is #2. Alomost looks like dry ice. I think #1 & #3 have a slightly too long exposure and the water has lost some of it's detail. If that makes sense?

Lovely shots - especially 1 and 2 - you've given the water an almost 'treacle-like' feel, if you get my drift. Brilliant!

Many thanks to everyone for their feedback, Jase & Matty - you probally know this already, but the last thing you need for slow water shots is a sunny day, if anything you want it as dark as possible, in the evening when the sun has just gone to bed is supposed to be a good time, that way you dont get the sky blowouts as Silkstone mentions, all of these shots benefit from a Polarisor filter and a Neutral density filter (-4) to assist with controling the brightness of the scene.

Stewart, you are quite right about the twigs, I wish I could of removed them from view, but sadly the pool of water under this twig was rather deep and cold .... and I'm a wuss, lol

Silk, I dont know why I set the sat & sharp on that shot, at the time I was new with the camera so I was pushing buttons left right and center, lol ... I was possibly trying to avoid using programs and get it right at the scene, you know what I mean.

Fungus & Catdaddy, thank you for your replies, glad you like them.

Regards

Kris

Back