Water & Oil

Name
Lindsay Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
I had some very rare spare time last weekend and thought I would give this a go. A freind at work explained how they done it and I figured out the rest, the only thing I did diffrently was to add food colour to the water. I think it's an interesting effect.

Red-Bubbles.jpg

Hiya, that looks good. Reminds me of the the inside of a lava lamp.

Well done!

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thats really interesting, would you care to post a guide on how this was achieved, I could easily see this as a computer desktop or even as artwork in a stylish bar or restaurant.

Matt
MWHCVT

I have this on my laptop as a screensaver at the moment, as for how it was achieved it is fairly straight forward.

Get a cheap pyrex dish (one without the word pyrex on the bottom) put about 2cm of water into the dish. I had the dish balanced on two tupperware tubs but anything will do to get the dish high enough to fit a light source under it.

I used a cheap ring flash that I bought from ebay. Add food clolouring to the water (whatever floats your boat) add some oil (olive oil as it was all I had) mix it with a straw and wait for it to go still.

I used a macro lens at the widest aperture 2.8 and manually focused until I got a sharpish image then used an remote shutter release. I shot in RAW but I don't think that was really needed.

Good luck.

Back