Water Rails - the regular light versions!

Nice low POV, is the hide at low level/below water level?

Love the first. The pose looks like it's stalking something, but really made by the full reflection. Second is also very good but doesn't grab me like the first. The blurred feet (motion blur?) spoil the third for me.

:agree::plus1:

Nice low POV, is the hide at low level/below water level?

Cheers Roger, its not so much a hide as some blocks in the water and you get given a mat for comfort! You lie down to take the shots - you could sit up but the shots would be worse. I believe the water level changes but on my day I was about 10 inches above the water line. Taking a tripod and one of those angle finders would get you right on top of the water.

Not being actually in a hide though means you get more views of other birds - I had both a kingfisher and a sparrowhawk buzz just a couple of feet over my head at times, which for me is just as much fun as shooting the water rails

Mike

[QUOTE="pooley, post: 8350382, member: 30589"I had both a kingfisher and a sparrowhawk buzz just a couple of feet over my head at times, which for me is just as much fun as shooting the water rails

Mike[/QUOTE]

I agree, sounds great :)

Love the first. The pose looks like it's stalking something, but really made by the full reflection. Second is also very good but doesn't grab me like the first. The blurred feet (motion blur?) spoil the third for me.

Thanks for your thoughts Jan. I tried for ages to get the walking shot in the first, once I'd got the regular poses it became my mission but the low light meant there was a lot of blur, and getting him square on to the camera was difficult - I wanted him angled slightly towards me but this is the best compromise.

I'ma bit split on the feet on the third - on one hand I like the sense of movement, but if there had been more light I'm sure I would have upped the shutter speed to get everything frozen.

Mike

I see quite a few of these Mike were the the reflection shots seem to be the most poular me personaly i think the portrait shot is the strongest of the 3 classic comp and i cracking HA

but if there had been more light I'm sure I would have upped the shutter speed to get everything frozen.

Mike

Welcome to Scotland Mike. :LOL:

1+2 for me, though not knocking the 3rd image, I just think the first 2 images are better as the motion blur in 3 distracts a little from the bird. I can sympathise though, Scottish light is usually challenging. ;)

Lovely words about everything else going on around you Mike, seeing the other wildlife that abounds in this area is an experience in itself and a lot of it due to Alan's work there. It's nice to just sit (or lie in this case) and watch sometimes.

Lovely shots. Just shows what a difference a POV makes and the clean background enhances them too.

Excellent set Mike (y)

Second shot for me, probably me favourite pose for bird photography :)

First shot is my favourite - It shows off movement and behaviour.

All lovely quality.

good set mike, love the top one with the reflection

Great set Mike 1 and 2 sublime

I see quite a few of these Mike were the the reflection shots seem to be the most poular me personaly i think the portrait shot is the strongest of the 3 classic comp and i cracking HA

Cheers Den, it took ages to get a sharp walking pose which is why I quite like it but it is a little cliched I'll admit!

Welcome to Scotland Mike. :LOL:

1+2 for me, though not knocking the 3rd image, I just think the first 2 images are better as the motion blur in 3 distracts a little from the bird. I can sympathise though, Scottish light is usually challenging. ;)

Lovely words about everything else going on around you Mike, seeing the other wildlife that abounds in this area is an experience in itself and a lot of it due to Alan's work there. It's nice to just sit (or lie in this case) and watch sometimes.

Ta Dale, having them so close lessens the impact of shooting at high ISO. I quite liked the blurry foot but doesn't seem to be as popular with everyone here - never mind!

Lovely shots. Just shows what a difference a POV makes and the clean background enhances them too.

My thoughts exactly John, the BG really helps here

Excellent set Mike (y)

Second shot for me, probably me favourite pose for bird photography :)

Cheers Phil, I agree, the look back always adds a bit of interest to a 'standard' portrait

First shot is my favourite - It shows off movement and behaviour.

All lovely quality.

Thanks Robin - good to see some of your recent shots - a massive jump in quality from a year or 2 ago (y)

Fabulous. That beak colour is almost fluorescent.......

Cheers Jerry, I've not added any colour, but they do look very red here

good set mike, love the top one with the reflection

Thanks Jeff - belly down - you know how it is!

really stunning!

Much appreciated

Great set Mike 1 and 2 sublime

Thanks Bob

Back