waterfalls

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Just a technicality, I know, but a waterfall has to leave the ground and travel through the air without touching anything, it has to free fall, if you like. If it falls down the hill side then it is a cascade.
Pedantic, I know, but I just thought I would mention it.

Just a technicality, I know, but a waterfall has to leave the ground and travel through the air without touching anything, it has to free fall, if you like. If it falls down the hill side then it is a cascade.
Pedantic, I know, but I just thought I would mention it.

Should probably put this in the "talk landscape" section then, instead of the photo sharing section. You also seem to have forgotton to mention 'forces' in your rant :D.

Last edited:
Here is an official definition. By the way, it's not a rant. I just like to be correct when I can.
The main components of a waterfall are water and a drop in height.

The way that the drop in height occurs provides the shape or style to the waterfall, some are cascades, or a series of steps where water is running out and over from one layer to the next. Some are in the form of a curtain, where the water comes over a flat piece of rock or some rocks at about the same height and has a sudden drop providing a curtain like effect. Spouts are where you have a flow of water coming out of a single trough or groove over a drop and can give an arc effect in some cases. Varying from the bubbling brook down a hillside to the massive falls like Niagara, there are many forms it can take.

if the water fell 1mm does this count? just to be pedantic? because then by your quote a drip is a waterfall...

Please don't ask questions which can't be answered using the Pendant's Manual...... mmmm..... maybe that should be the Manual of Pedantry. :rules:

Back