Waterhouse

H

Hoodi

bit of a rework of an image, this one.
this was a shot I wasn't really happy with. I overexposed it, basically - but just as I finished exposing the shot, it started raining... I couldn't be arsed to do anything with it again, so I left it.

Today I went back to my test exposure - I often do this with IR shots, guessing at the exposure (getting good at it now...) with a high ISO and wide open. Then I stop down the lens and lower the ISO and take my "proper" shot. Sometimes the test exposures are interesting and quite different though, because they often don't have the inherent motion blur of my very long shots. In this instance, it was a combination of having textured water, better clouds & being exposed properly. So I had a play with the test exposure, and this is what I came up with.

waterhousecopyzu7.jpg

I'm happier with this, and the grain doesn't bother me - but what do others think?

I guess you have to be a bit artistic to appreciate this kind of shot.

I don't like it at all. The structure looks artificially placed in the picture as there is light in the distance but not in the foreground - yet the the building face is well lit.

I much prefer this version, your original was too dark in the shadow areas IMO. Really like the grain too but if i'm being really picky, think the very base of the image is still a little too dark for me.
Massive improvement in any case & I really like this image. :clap:

hmm the original isnt too bad...not really sure what you can do to make it better though?

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback chaps.

I really don't like the original anymore - not looking for any feedback on that, just this second version. Which I rather like. But that doesn't mean you can't call it rubbish like RobertP :D

i do like the second version, its *just* not quite right, maybe for the reasons robert gave with the lighting?

It's not rubbish at all. It does fall into a category that I don't grasp though. I have a bias against mono to start with and I often don't see the merit in things others rave about - hence my preface about appreciating art :)

Based on experience my view does not reflect the majority opinion - but I'll give it anyway ;)

heh :D

Odd light is down to two things :
slight light falloff (vignetting) exemplified in processing and
the light really was bizarre, heavy cloud with periodic and rolling gaps that were letting through a lot of light.

I do perhaps wish I'd gotten somewhat closer to the building, though...
Just nabbed a sale of this - so it can't be all bad!

sale = good!

So I was right then !

(about my opinion :) )

:D
Just trying to persuade them that they want to bump their order up to a nice round 5 prints, now:naughty:

of course I'd still like to hear others opinions! :geek:

Back