Waterproof overtrousers?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
If this is the wrong place can the mods please move?
I'm after recomendations for waterproof over trousers, proper waterproof one, I've got several pairs of so-called WP over trousers, but I get nearly as wet with them as without. These are for walking in heavy rain, and a bit of sitting about, but mostly active.
I dont want to spend a fortune, but I'm not on a tight budget either, any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

I bought some gore waterproof over trousers back when I was cycling to work some 10+ years ago.

They have a very bright fluorescent patch at the back of the leg, so probably not preferred, but they still do a great job of keeping my legs dry.

I’m personally looking for a decent waterproof jacket as my Rab one leaves me with wet arms and the outer pockets aren’t waterproof

Last edited:
My waterproofs let in no water, even on the motorbike in the pouring rain. The best place to look is a farming establishment -- around here we have Mole Valley Farmers but any agricultural store should be able to help you out. Farmers are out in the crap all day so they aren't going to buy any old rubbish.

The only way you`re going to stay dry ,100 percent dry , is to buy Gortex, anything Gortex is Waterproof ... as a fisherman and spending lots of time in the outdoors chasing fish in all weathers I ended up buying all sorts of Jackets and trousers over the years that claimed to keep you dry when in actual fact they did Not..

I eventually bought a pair of Berghaus Gortex over trousers for general hill walking and days out in heavy rain >>>>These <<<< and have several Gortex jackets ,, These types of trousers usually unzip from the waist all the way down to the feet making them extremely easy to put on and take off with No faffing aroung trying to squeeze your leg into them with boots on .. There are lots of other brands out there BUT be sure it says GORTEX on them ,, of course they are not cheap however as the saying goes "You get what you pay for" .. Buy cheap buy Twice so its a No brainer really .. you should expect to pay around £100 or more for Gortex overtrousers , Jackets can range anywhere from £150 for the packable type of jacket up to £500/£600 ..

Rab are another great brand of waterproof overtrousers but they don`t come cheap either >>>> These <<<<

Stores such as Millets, Go Outdoors & Cotswold etc etc usually have a good Variety of these type of trousers and jackets ..

Coho - Blue

Last edited:
Last edited:
Plus one on the army surplus options.
I have still got a pair of sidi waterproof trousers that are all black and about 15yrs old. They are excellent.

Thanks all. Looks like gortex is the way forward, I'll check out the surplus places as well.

I have a Gore Tex Paclite jacket that I keep in my bag.
It let in rain more than any other jacket I've owned.
Took it back to the shop and was told that with it being rolled up, the Goretex membrane cracks and lets in water.
Kinda defeats the purpose of "Paclite"
Same happened with my Goretex trousers but they aren't worn as often so not as much of a problem.
I wear Craghopper trousers under my Goretex overtrousers so even if they get wet, they dry in no time at all

The problem I have found with Goretex, and I have quit a few items containing it, is that...well, let me give you an example:

My biker jacker has Goretex and it does keep the rain out for the most part (although someone decided not to put it in the pockets so woe betide if you leave your phone in one), but once the jacket is removed, and before it has had time to dry, the moisture seems to seep through. When it comes to putting the jacket back on, a couple of hours later say, you can feel how damp everything has become and in fact makes putting ones arms in the sleeves almost impossible. My Goretex gloves behave in the same way, once they've been in the rain for a few hours they are useless to get back on as your hands stick to the lining. Once you've got the stuff on, don't take it off unless you can dry it properly. This is my experience of the product.

For walking out with the dogs I tend to prefer something impermeable like PVC. You sweat a little more as it doesn't 'breathe', but it keeps you from the ravages of the weather, dries in seconds and is easy to put back on again. Also, as mentioned above, after a while it creases and becomes less effective.

My wife and I have each owned a pair of "Technicals" waterproof trousers for many years, They roll up into a small bag and, from personal experience, will keep your legs dry in a sudden storm half way up an Alpine mountain! They have leg zips, which are very useful for pulling them on or off past heavy boots...

Technicals overtrousers in bag GM5 _1050861.JPGTechnicals overtrousers spread GM5 _1050862.JPG

My waterproofs let in no water, even on the motorbike in the pouring rain. The best place to look is a farming establishment -- around here we have Mole Valley Farmers but any agricultural store should be able to help you out. Farmers are out in the crap all day so they aren't going to buy any old rubbish.
This, look for flexothane they will last a normal person for years as a lot of farmers wear them most days in winter around mucky wet livestock
Increasingly not cheap expect to pay around £40
Flexothane has a bit of stretch so not too flappy and easier to get on and off.

They have leg zips, which are very useful for pulling them on or off past heavy boots...

And here's a tip for everyone: for further ease of donning waterproof trousers, with or without zip, put a plastic carrier bag over your boot before pulling on the leg, then nothing gets caught up. Works a treat, it really does.

Last edited:
Back