waterproof/splashproof

Edit My Images
Yes
has anyone used the aquapac slr case for water photography.

I'd like to be able to take photos in the water (mainly of kitesurfing). I am not talking underwater photography, just a case so that the camera (pentax k10d) can't get wet when shooting in water.

I'd love to be able to take pictures in waist deep water, mainly of kitesurfing. So i need a housing that will allow me to do this.

The aquapac seems like a great cheap ulternative to the massively expensive underwater casing that is around. Are there any other options?

cheers
Charlie

edit: i have also found this one which looks similar: Dicapac WP-S10 SLR waterproof underwater case for film and digital SLR DSLR cameras Review

I'd go for whichever one gives you the most flexibility with lens choice m8, I've no experience with them myself though.

I've used something similar on an old Sony point and shoot, when scuba diving. It was water tight, but cumbersome and the casing kept moving and covering the lens, so ended up with only half a fish and the casing.

Even when out of water, and just using it to protect the camera from water splashing, I found it difficult to use.

This may be different with the product you are looking at and may work better on dslr's, but personally I would go with the full water proof housing that the manufacturers are offering if I was to do something similar in the future, as they are designed to work with your model of camera. Yes more expensive, but will give you ease of control and more flexibility.

Also, as you have to press the buttons through he plastic cover you can sometimes end up pressing 2 buttons simulatianiously, and guarantee its going to be the wrong button thats actioned.

Thats my 2p's worth anyway.

Gerald

To me, this comes down to how much you value your camera. if you definitely want it working afterwards, get the expensive one, if you could live with killing it with salt water, then try the cheap one. The only way youll know if it leaks or not, is put the camera in it and check, but if it does leak it might be too late to save it.

that said, i take it your only after splash proof? in which case i would thought you should be ok

Agree with fletch5 on that one - I take a lot of watersports pics (mainly windsurfing) and often find myself waist deep in the waves.

Normally find myself with the camera wrapped in protection from the sand rather than any waterproof cover though - on occasions where we've set up a tower I'll swim out with the camera in a waterproof bag and hope I don't fall off once Im there!

Can't really advise that as a course of action though...

Would go for the aquapac personally.

i simply can't afford any other waterproof casing the difference in price is amazing: about £1000 for the waterprrof casing and about £60 for the aquapac.

I guess as long as i dont rely on it being waterproof and just splashproof then it should be ok.

I use the ewa-marine U-A for my Nikon D80 (£160 here). As well as using it for snorkelling I also use it for surf photography. It gives me peace of mind that my camera is not going to be killed by sea water and gives fairly easy access to the controls after a bit of practice.

Cheers,

Nigel

i was looking at a simular housing for my D80.

want something for the wet days lol

that looks like what i'm after Nigel, thanks for the link. Have you ever had any issues with it leaking or the like?

Never had any issues with the casing. It's spent quite a few hours completely underwater and also in the surf. You have to take your time locating the camera and making sure that the seals and closures are correctly positioned but a bit of practice helps a lot. Misting up can happen if you load the camera in a hot, humid environment and then take it into cold water but using the silicon dessicant inside the case helps with that.

Link to some test pics here.
Note that these are straight off the camera - only resized - and were only taken for the purpose of testing the casing.

I've been very happy with it so far and think that it's good value for money IMHO

Cheers,

Nigel

Back