Weather protection

Photodiva

Foot elevated on the stool
Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I decided to invest in some gear in case I am liable to get down and dirty with the rugby and footie and bought some waterproof trousers from Tesco.com for £10.00. they look like a real bargain, come in a little pouch to store in the kit bag and feel of reasonable quality. Not a bad little bargain, just so you all know :)

For winter..
I have a short fleece jacket that zips right up under the chin and keeps me very warm.. I ahve a rain coat wiht hood ...extra size...that goes over the fleece so warm and dry.. I have dunlop overpants (lined) to keep the rain off my legs and I ahve thermals for winter.. believe me thermals are req when sat in cold for long periods... A good pair of boots also essential in winter..

Couple of wooley hats (no bobble) as always loosing one, full fingered wooley gloves and thats me done... Oh for the extreme cold I ahve one of them russian hat things for over my ears :)

Camomac rain cover for big lens and another pull-tie cover for smaller lens.. I use the peli as seat and I ahve the seaport laptop case (plus cheap kagool) for laptop.. Plenty of cloth in case for wiping gear....

In the car....
Towel and spare clothes in car just in case.. always a spare coat...if soaked at one job you want to be in reasonable condition for next...also some shoes if boots are covered in mud... also a stiff brush for scrubbing the peli case if needed.. first aid kit.. spare glasses, big brolley (we arnt all at prem grounds then home)

Bring it on!!! :)

Last edited:
I have pretty much the same set up as Kipax when I used to shoot sports,

One word of warning about cheep waterproof trousers. If you sit down at a football match the water will pool in the crotch of the waterproof trousers and go pretty much straight through, you end up wet and when you take your waterproofs off it looks like you have had a bit of a accident. I use ski pants which never let me down and are fine for football use.

I have a RAB Polartec Micro Fleece, on top of that I have a RAB Powershield Jacket with an additional North Face Rain Jacket if needed.

For my legs I have a pair of fleece bottoms which I wear under a pair of Berghaus Gortex rain pants. Add the hat and gloves and I really don't feel the cold... well maybe my fingers do a litle (y)

All the gear set me back quite a bit but I figured I've spent so much on camera gear why cut corners on the gear that's going to enable me to gout out and enjoy using my expensive camera gear (y)

From standing around football grounds for hours in the cold for donkeys years I know cheap waterproofs don't cut it. From plenty of time spent in fields and up and down hills again cheap waterproofs don't work. Pretty much everyone will try them, thats why the companies who make them are still going.

A lot of people go on about goretex fabrics and they cost a fair bit but they do work, wear your inexpensive tesco pants and you will end up just as wet as if you hadn't worn them due to sweat, as they are probably single layer they will be stuck to what ever is under them which will also be wet and lack of air layer between then will mean you will be cold so cold and wet there is no point bothering with them in the first place. Ohh yeah probably better without them as the sweat will smell where the rain wouldn't.

I now have 3 coats that are worn depending on conditions in combinations if needed, lightweight fleece great for cool days, lightweight waterproofshell great for wind or rain They are worn together if cold and wet and a down filled parker, really cold down is awesome -21 in new york I was sweating sat on the open top bus tour upstairs. for my legs I can just wear a thermal baselayer under jeans but I also have a pair of snowboarding pants they are great and really warm.

EDIT:
I'm no sports photographer

Last edited:
Hi. Not aspiring to the dizzy heights of sports photography like some of you, I got my warm coat from the charity shop for a fiver, boots I've had for years. My fleece came from Peacocks. It is possible to start on a shoestring. At least I'm doing mostly home games!

Carol,

next time you are in TK Max have a look at the Outdoors & Adventure area, both in the women's and men's clothing sections. They frequently have gortex kit in there for very decent prices, and as Zilly suggested you can pick up some absolute bargains on the Skiing rack. I've even seen Barbour leggings at about a 3rd of their usual price.

As for thermals, if you don't want to splash out on North Face, Helly Hansen or Berghaus, a pair of 100dn woolly tights works just as well (and yes I am speaking from experience!)

Take the same approach that you might for a tripod; if you buy cheaply, you buy often. Supermarket waterproofs are designed for casual infrequent use, and if you are constantly kneeling and lying down in them, they will soon rip.

However, if you need to stay on a budget there is a way of using them that will help them last. Find your oldest, most knackered pair of jeans, and wear the waterproofs inside them. You'll stay dry and the waterproofs will get some protection! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I'll check out your suggestions. My OH offered his motorbike wet gear but I don't want to ruin it on the sports field!

Muckboots, a gore-text water proof jacket, and a couple of icebreaker thermal tops. These are bril. warm as, lite, have a wee thumb hole in the sleeve, AND you can ware them non stop for days with no smell. My record is a month solid with only a suggestion for a whiff in the arm pit, if ya put ya nose there.:eek:

poured down all night at cheserfield.. my new lined waterproof pants qworked perfect... better than none lined pair... bone dry underneath and a lot more comfy :)

Back