Website Feedback.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,I've had a webiste for a year now and never really liked the templates i made,I finally found one(a free one) which i'm very pleased with and can't see myself changing it in the near future.

Now can you tell me if it's just me or if it is ok?

Thanks link is : http://www.toolan.co.uk/

:wave:

My only comments are this like so many webs do not take advantage of the full screen it a narrow strip in the middle.
One point if you’re a business you are not compiling with the law with your contact details.
It’s long winded but you need a name, address and email all on your web site as well as any paper work you use like letter headers etc.

Ecommerce Regulations: requirements
A person providing an information society service must make available to the recipients of the service (and any relevant enforcement authority) in a form and manner which is easily, directly and permanently accessible, the following information:
• the name of the service provider;
• the geographic address at which the service provider is established;
• the details of the service provider, including his electronic mail address, which make it possible to contact him rapidly and communicate with him in a direct and effective manner;
• where the service provider is registered in a trade or similar register available to the public, details of the register in which the service provider is entered and his registration number, or equivalent means of identification in that register;
• where the provision of the service is subject to an authorisation scheme, the particulars of the relevant supervisory authority;
• where the service provider exercises a regulated profession: (i) the details of any professional body or similar institution with which the service provider is registered; (ii) his professional title and the member State where that title has been granted; (iii) a reference to the professional rules applicable to the service provider in the member State of establishment and the means to access them; and
• where the service provider undertakes an activity that is subject to value added tax, the relevant identification number.

Companies Act 2006 and Business Names Act 1985
Every UK company should list on its website:
• its name;
• its company registration number;
• its place of registration; and
• its registered office address.
Sole traders and partnerships who carry on a business in the UK under a business name (very roughly, not the names of the trader/partners) must also make certain website disclosures:
• in the case of a sole trader, the individual’s name;
• in the case of a partnership, the name of each member of the partnership;
• in either case, in relation to each person named, an address in the UK at which service of any document relating in any way to the business will be effective.

It's nice - but I'm also not too keen on the gallery. Narrow strip + flash means it takes a long time to scroll through!

My only comments are this like so many webs do not take advantage of the full screen it a narrow strip in the middle.
One point if you’re a business you are not compiling with the law with your contact details.
It’s long winded but you need a name, address and email all on your web site as well as any paper work you use like letter headers etc.

A person providing an information society service must make available to the recipients of the service (and any relevant enforcement authority) in a form and manner which is easily, directly and permanently accessible, the following information:
• the details of the service provider, including his electronic mail address, which make it possible to contact him rapidly and communicate with him in a direct and effective manner;
• where the service provider is registered in a trade or similar register available to the public, details of the register in which the service provider is entered and his registration number, or equivalent means of identification in that register;
• where the provision of the service is subject to an authorisation scheme, the particulars of the relevant supervisory authority;
• where the service provider exercises a regulated profession: (i) the details of any professional body or similar institution with which the service provider is registered; (ii) his professional title and the member State where that title has been granted; (iii) a reference to the professional rules applicable to the service provider in the member State of establishment and the means to access them; and
• where the service provider undertakes an activity that is subject to value added tax, the relevant identification number.

• its name;
Sole traders and partnerships who carry on a business in the UK under a business name (very roughly, not the names of the trader/partners) must also make certain website disclosures:
• in either case, in relation to each person named, an address in the UK at which service of any document relating in any way to the business will be effective.

Thanks for that,I'm only a student photographer but will definetly follow those rules!

It's nice - but I'm also not too keen on the gallery. Narrow strip + flash means it takes a long time to scroll through!

Thanks Chris i just use that as it's a lightroom export and is quick and easy for getting photos online

You might want to give the visitors an indication of where you are.. a visitor using google wouldnt know if your in australia or the UK and if they had enough to know the UK then what part?
HTH :)

You might want to give the visitors an indication of where you are.. a visitor using google wouldnt know if your in australia or the UK and if they had enough to know the UK then what part?
HTH :)
Actually in Ireland an the moment :)

Got the toolan domain off my dad who lives in the uk and .ie domains are too pricy :wacky:

Will add that now anyway,Cheers :)

• its name;

If you're a massive corporation then perhaps follows those rules, but I can't say I've ever seen ANY creative business state all that information on their website.

Hi Richard

I do like your website very much, and some great pics. One observation I feel I should make is that I have noticed several grammatical errors which could be off-putting. This, mind you, comes from someone who himself does not have a website :).

Richard

I likie your new site but have a few suggestions I run a sucessfull web design business so I think I am qualified to comment, but please bear in mind these are just my thoughts and just like C&Cing images its down to personal taste.

As stated above you do not need to have all the e-com and legal bumf on your site just an easy way to make contact with you.

I think you can probably stretch the content area to a little more I think you can comfortably go to 900 pixels wide these days, but what ever you do keep the width fixed do not use a % width as it will fcuk up your content big style.

In your gallery I would include a sample image of what the gallery is about it will make whats probably the most important page on your site have a little more punch. I would probably look at using something like JQuery's lightbox to display your images fairly easy to get your head around and it preloads the next image in the series. If you ru into a brick wall with it I'm happy to point you in the general direction just get in touch.

The only other thing I would suggest wouls be to place all your external links into one section and make sure you use target="_blank" so that they open in a new window this way it wont take visitors away from your site.

Hey Richard - I thought it was a blog at first - no bad thing though! I think that approach could work quite well on a photographers site. Galleries looked OK, but flash is a bit of a nightmare . . . I'm not overly sure what the alternatives would be.

Couple of ideas:

- expand the blogginess of it
- link into flickr, twitter et al

Just my tupenth's worth!

Si

---------------------------------------------------------
www.photographyin.co.uk

Back