Website HELP Needed

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all,

I've been tasked with setting up a Website for my local Camera Club, (Shafton and District Photographic Society - Barnsley) can anyone give me some advice on where to start :thinking:

Never done any web page creation or anything like that, so I think it may be a service I need to buy.
I know a few companies out there provide Web space but how hard/ easy is it to manipulate to produce the kind of pages I need??? Or would I be better going for a full bought in package ??

I do have funds available through the club, but as it is a scarce resource I would rather not blow all the clubs cash on this project.

The design I'm thinking of is a basic simple, modern looking front end with access to things like :

Club details.... i.e President...memebers of committe + address & tel numbers etc
Member details
Member Gallery space
Competition information
Competition Gallery
Syllabus of Event
Calendar based information on Syllabus
Maybe somewhere to post some text / graphical tutorials
Links to Forum based knowledge etc ;)

Anyway I hope you get the general idea.........

Thanks in advance :wave:

you would be wanting gallery or coppermine i think, they both allow you to create user accounts and the like, as well as build into html pages, so that you can make it look like you want, however its not that easy to do

i will see if i can find some links later, but for now gallery2 menalto.gallery.com i think

coppermine, http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php

Cheers Matty....

Just one thing, I didn't forsee having the members 'log into' our site more like just browse around etc...

And images put up there would be uploaded by the administrator IYKWIM

Although now you mention Gallery/ log in, I imagine this is so you have some control over images you upload ??

As matt says gallery2 is free, and will do all you ask for, but a bit of a pain to set up, i tried it brifly a while ago, but couldnt get it to work properly.
I am a bit thick though when it comes to anything like that.:bonk:

Will have a look at coppermine myself though, :) Keep posting on your progress, as i would be interested to find out what you have success doing

:D

Have a look at www.clikpic.com I use this for my website and it is easy to set up and use, plenty of different styles to choose from and if you get bored with the one that you are using it can be changed with just a few mouse clicks.

Zengallery is another easy to use one, but i dont think it allows mulitple users, ive not looked at it that hard to see, just using it on my own gallery

Matty means Zenphoto.

If you aren't going to let members upload to the images zenphoto is ideal.
Its not to big, and it is quite easy to manipulate the pages to add your own touch.

I've used it on mine

Link to zenphoto and the demo gallery

How are you going to write the site if you plan to do it yourself? (web editor or notepad).
What web language are you going to use?

I only have limited knowledge html/css but I've managed to build my own.
I used xhtml to write the pages in my site, then styled them with css.
To start with I drew my plan on a piece of paper, then set about putting it into code.
Once I git the basic layout, I implemented zenphoto for a gallery, and wrapped, 'my code' around it.

The finished product is here

You'll find some helpful tips here
And if you have any questions, just post away and I'm sure you'll get lots of help from the members ;)

Thaks for all the info so far guys' .........

Matt..... havent a clue about writing code fella :thinking: so would be a hugh task in hand. Nice site you have there BTW

The 'Clikpic' site looks good, but I imagine that comes at a price..........well the price there charging actually.:D
Price wise it's not out of the way for the club but has anyone got any other comments about them?? Hacker do you have any problems.

One question I forgot to ask is where is "one's" site hosted ?? If I write it all my self do I have to set up my own server??

Sorry for the questions!!

Apart from a couple of niggling problems which were down to user error :bonk: I have not had any problems. The pricing structure varies but I paid £180 for the Pro User which allows me up to 1400 images, you can start small and upgrade if need be. I know nothing about code which is just as well as it is not required, it took me about four hours from discovering Clikpic to having about 95% of my site done so if I can do it.....;)

You can get quite cheap hosting packages, starting at around £30 a year upto very expensive dedicated servers.

All you need to do is upload your web pages to the site, and attach a domain and away you go.

If your looking for an easier route, try Photium

Back