Wedding Fairs Advice Please

Name
Bridget
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been trying to obtain a stall at our local Wedding Fairs with no luck. It seems that from a photography point they are very over subscribed. So it got me thinking why not organise a Wedding Fair myself. Move on a few weeks and I now have in place the venue for holding the event, the website up and running www.weddings4you.com and also some advertising in the local paper, but here's the problems.

1. How do I approach other vendors such as Wedding Cake, Flowers, and Dresses Suppliers etc.

2. What sort of contract do I need to have in place, having never done this sort of thing before I want to make sure I protect both parties.

3. Insurance, what do I need to cover the general public and vendors.

I would be grateful of any advice you may be able to point my way. The event is due to take place on the 7th October and I am looking to fill about 18 vendor slots.

I wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong place and please feel free to move the post.

1. How do I approach other vendors such as Wedding Cake, Flowers, and Dresses Suppliers etc.

Cant really offer much advice on your project, but in regards to the above question, work as a nail technician, I have an ad in Yellow Pages, and Ive often had Wedding Fair organisers cold call me and ask if Id like a stand at their event.
Also, if theyre struggling to fill the stands they often call back with a much lower fee for the stands too.

Many thanks for your advice. Do you have any idea of what fair organisers charge for each stand.

Cant really offer much advice on your project, but in regards to the above question, work as a nail technician, I have an ad in Yellow Pages, and Ive often had Wedding Fair organisers cold call me and ask if Id like a stand at their event.
Also, if theyre struggling to fill the stands they often call back with a much lower fee for the stands too.

Not sure about wedding fayres but if we're attending trade show things the stands can cost between about £400 up to £2k depending on the event. That's just for a normal sized 8X6 ish size. I'd have thought you should be towards the lower end of that unless it's a particularly prestigious event, don't know though.

If cost's an issue try finding someone who would be prepared to share, suggest it to the organisers as well, you might be lucky.

Ive worked company stands at shows at the NEC, earls Court etc. & they have cost a fair few thou.

For local wedding fairs where I was approached to exhibit for myself, the costs varied from £60-£120 depending on the venue (usually local hotels).
Hth a little.

thank you for the assistance, this venue is a local hotel so I know I would only be prepared to pay around £100 so it looks like this is the type of figer others organisers have used before.

Can I ask if anyone knows the best way to get good adds in local papers for reasonable costs. So far it looks like 4 adverts will cost around £700 for 7cm x 14cm. Is there any better way to approch them for more affordable costs.

Try an advertorial (I think that's the name)....send out press releases etc. A leaflet drop is not too expensive....ask those who book with you to notify their client base....e-mail (if you have a database of local residents)....local websites - banner advert....local shops - posters etc.....local radio (they will usually do a free slot for you).

Without sounding harsh I think you've gone about this the wrong way. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but if I was a prospective vendor and I called you up to enquire about exhibiting I would want to know prices, your experience, what advertising you've done, what sort of table and power lead would be supplied, what insurance do you have, your expected footfall and how many other exhibitors of the same type are going to be there. If you were not able to supply even these basics I'm afraid I would not be interested. I have heard of a Fair run by Broxbourne Council that had 30 exhibitors of which 18 were photographers, apparently there was almost a riot! A good rule of thumb for dividing up the number of exhibitors is 10% + 1, so if you have 30 exhibitors 4 would be photographers.

With regards to pricing you need to do some comparative analysis of your competitors to find out what they charge. A lot of it will depend on the size and type of venue, an event held in a pub function room will be a lot less that one held in a conference centre, you will also have to factor in how many prospective brides you expect.

Thank you Brians, some great tips there.

Hacker the things you mentioned is the reason for posting and assessing all these things first before any vendors are contacted.

You may have the info you need already but if not -

I have done a few wedding fairs for the company I work for. I'm off with a slipped disc at the mo but you are welcome to send me a PM if you want to chat and I'll give you my number! . I may not be much use , but i'll try!!!!

Back