Wedding flowers

Name
Ady
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all
My wife has a small Hobie / business in flower arranging, most of which seems to be wedding flowers.
She had some flowers to do for a family friend who got married on new years eve so i thought i would have a play with my new lighting kit and photograph a few.

Has anyone got any tips for this kind of photography or suggestions on different things to try and make them better?(y)
Cheers Ady

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

Last edited:
maybe seem a tad over exposed? The white background for me seems a bit clinical for flowers. I dont associate any warmth with it. Maybe im wrong?

It also looks more grey than white. And the edge of the outside petal on the first rose shot looks a little bit battered on the outside- probably hardly visible in real life, but that's photography for you - shows these things up :)

Number 2 really needs to lose the hand - and investment in a straight glass or other holder would of been good

Thanks for the replies guys, i know what you mean about the white / gray background but i found it very difficult to get a bright white without overdoing the flowers??

I was going to use a black background but i never had time to try it:crying:, i think a lot of the detail would have been lost due to the colour of the flowers though?

Thanks again for the crit, all noted for next time.(y)

Hi Ady,

It's probably a personal preference thing, but I don't mind the slightly softer off-white background for these at all.
I think that a blinding pure white would have looked too clinical for the subject matter.

I think you need to be careful with your exposure though. In no.1 and no.3 the white in the petals looks over-exposed - you're losing detail and the edges are merging into the background, but white on white is never going to be easy. Try using separate light sources to light the bg and the flowers individually.

The hand in no.2 really doesn't work for me at all. There's some lovely detail with the jewel in the centre of the flower, but as suggested think of a different way to support the flower.

No.4 is the strongest shot IMO. I like the composition and the lighting in this one feels like it's worked the best. Just watch the framing with this type of shot - you're just losing the ends of the grasses at the front, and I'd like to see the whole effect. For example, do those grasses have jewels on the end like some of the others?

Definately got some over-exposure going on here but I like how you've tried different compositions. Like Sarah I don't like the hand in the frame at all. The only one where I'm not keen on the composition is #5 - pointing the flowers down seems a bit negative. Also as Sarah said - be careful of chopping the ends off of leaves etc.

I think #3 has a lot of promise if you could sort out the exposure.

Black background will add to the feel I think.

Try using some propos - not hands....

Back