Wedding Music Video - The future of wedding videos?

Jimmy_Lemon

TPer Emeritus
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Just seen this pop up on twitter - http://vimeo.com/21826774 - though it seems it is about a month old (not seen it mentioned on here before).

Could this be the future of wedding videos? or just another gimmick?

Can't think that that must have taken a hell of a long time to shoot and edit and it isn't exactly for me, but can imagine it being popular for a lot of people.

(Please don't crit the quality etc as this isn't what this post is about and the creator is here to defend/reply).

i havent seen that particular one but i have seen music video weddings before so its not brand new. Its original, but i think it will remain very niche. I cant imagine how much organisation goes into that on the day.

I have seen the usual dancing to a song at the reception type thing, but nothing as crafted as this, maybe it is just the next evolution....but as you say I wouldn't like to have to plan that one :p

A few UK companies produce these for couples on their wedding day. These have been on the go for about 10 years+ , One called 'Tragedy' was aired on breakfast GMTV. Everyone joined in the mime including the Vicar - The real 'tragedy'? They divorced a few years later.

A few UK companies produce these for couples on their wedding day. These have been on the go for about 10 years+ , One called 'Tragedy' was aired on breakfast GMTV. Everyone joined in the mime including the Vicar - The real 'tragedy'? They divorced a few years later.

Actually now you mention it that rings a bell.

Nicely done but I dont like it. I prefer more "grown up" wedding videos like this one www.vimeo.com/3267918 There will be people who want that kind of wedding video and thats fine, but imagine looking back on it in 10 years time, I can imagine it being embarrassing for the client when their taste has matured :LOL:

but imagine looking back on it in 10 years time

My sentiments exactly, very good video and lots of effort and time gone into the process but not sure how popular it would be and what the client would think of it in later years.

The other thing is that a wedding day should be (at least for the guests and the couple) about the wedding itself, not going about their wedding ceremony as if its on a hollywood film set with takes/re-takes, directors interfering and directing everything which I would guess such an elaborate production could take it towards.

A colleague of mine mentioned that a few couples have asked this year if he could produce a wedding video to music similar to this, but we worked out you would need at least 3 camera operators to achieve the effect and it would be costly plus of course the time involved to do all the editing - maybe it will be more popular with higher budget weddings?

The video linked here bears some similarities (video effects/transitions) to the original made for the song by "The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)" - but still nevertheless enjoyable to watch.

Nicely done but I dont like it. I prefer more "grown up" wedding videos like this one www.vimeo.com/3267918 There will be people who want that kind of wedding video and thats fine, but imagine looking back on it in 10 years time, I can imagine it being embarrassing for the client when their taste has matured :LOL:

that was the best wedding video i ever saw, superb steadicam shots in there.

Appalling, I'll say it again, appalling.
Image seeing your mum and dad 20 years ago doing something like this to Meatloaf or Bryan Adams, or 30 years ago to Bucks Fizz....

Agree. The video you linked is great as well.

I love Marryoke! Came across a few a while back, with Brian & Eileen's being my favourite!

An excellent gift for the couple, all their friends and family having fun! (y)

I'm going to sound like a total arse saying this but I think it needs to be said.

I find it quite annoying that a lot of photographers and videographers do this. They bitch and moan to high heaven if a paying client sticks one of their pictures on facebook to show friends or scans the image and prints further copies but they seem totally at home snatching other copyrighted works and using them to make a buck.

I'm not just talking video soundtracks, I've lost count of how many photographers websites I've been to with copyrighted background music (music on a site should be a crime regardless of copyright, lol).

Sorry to rant guys but double standards really get on my nerves - I'll happily apologise if this was licensed but I seriously doubt they could afford to.

---

On a lighter not a like the idea, a good bit of fun. Although it wouldn't be my cup of tea if it was my wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to sound like a total arse saying this but I think it needs to be said.

I find it quite annoying that a lot of photographers and videographers do this. They bitch and moan to high heaven if a paying client sticks one of their pictures on facebook to show friends or scans the image and prints further copies but they seem totally at home snatching other copyrighted works and using them to make a buck.

I'm not just talking video soundtracks, I've lost count of how many photographers websites I've been to with copyrighted background music (music on a site should be a crime regardless of copyright, lol).

Sorry to rant guys but double standards really get on my nerves - I'll happily apologise if this was licensed but I seriously doubt they could afford to.

---

On a lighter not a like the idea, a good bit of fun. Although it wouldn't be my cup of tea if it was my wedding.

videographers etc pay a license to be able to use music like that in their work

videographers etc pay a license to be able to use music like that in their work

If that's the case then fair enough but I really wouldn't have thought he could have afforded to do that for a popular mainstream song like this. Wouldn't this cost a small fortune?

If that's the case then fair enough but I really wouldn't have thought he could have afforded to do that for a popular mainstream song like this. Wouldn't this cost a small fortune?

it's not quite like that.

Basically to actually play music in public you are supposed to have a license to do so, you pay a fee to play music in a shop for example. companies like this one:

http://www.musicworksforyou.com/music-licensing.html

send a fee to different record companies etc if they are part of the scheme.

I don't know the full details but there are identical license deals for using music in this way on videos etc.

Back