Wedding Photography - equipment

Nice post Mihai. I agree that having two functional cameras rather than keeping one in the bag as a backup is a good idea.

The importance of having two cameras was brought home to me on saturday though, when the battery grip for my 5D started making the camera do very strange things indeed, rendering it almost unusable (I couldn't go back to using it without the grip as I'd left the battery door at home and it won't switch on without it).

I just bought the Canon 24mm 1.4 for use at weddings, very expensive but initial tests already make me think it's going to be an amazing lens. I think I will get rid of my 24-105L as it's just not fast enough for my tastes.

I do not understand the philosophy behind having a "backup" camera. IMHO a wedding or an event photog needs two working cameras equipped that way to solve almost all situations during an event. Against the mainstream FX + 24 paired with DX + 24-70 + flash did a great job for me in a wedding involving a lot of changes in light (power, color, direction, etc).

I agree withwhat you are saying - what i mean when i say back up is that its important to have two - if you have just one and it dies then you are ****ed, if you are using two and one dies you can press on with the remaining one - i'm not implying that the back up body should stay in the bag

though that said my mate ben who's a full time shoots with 2 5D2s and also keeps his original 5DC in the car so that he'll still have two if either one of the principals suffers an unexpected fault

though that said my mate ben who's a full time shoots with 2 5D2s and also keeps his original 5DC in the car so that he'll still have two if either one of the principals suffers an unexpected fault

I shoot 2 D700's, but my backup is a D300 left in my ThinkTank roller case along with my 'oh **** my primes have all died' 24-70 f/2.8G and 80-200mm f/2.8. I also like to have enough emergency kit that I could continue if something happened to me that kills everything I carry with me (e.g. fall in a river etc)

So, do you on,y shoot primes Foggy?

I've just managed to borrow another 500D (was offered the loan of a 7D which is a more capable camera but I would rather have the use of 2 cameras I know exactly how to work my way around) which I'm going to use my 100mm on and catch detail & candids with (hopefully), keep my 50mm in my pocket and have the 17-55mm on the other, I'll keep my other lenses by my side though

(apologies again Helen, still keeping on topic though ;) )

I'm not the one you asked but I'm planning to go over to mostly just using primes, I prefer the simplicity, IQ and DOF control you get from primes. I now have the Canon 24mm 1.4, and Sigma 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. I'll be keeping the 70-200mm 2.8 though.

I'm not the one you asked but I'm planning to go over to mostly just using primes, I prefer the simplicity, IQ and DOF control you get from primes. I now have the Canon 24mm 1.4, and Sigma 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. I'll be keeping the 70-200mm 2.8 though.

hey, no worries, I'm open to feedback from all. I just get the sense that zoom lenses are the popular choice. I love using my prime lenses - it's just not practical for this church this time and my kit lens simply won't cut it

the wedding I did on monday i shot with a 90mm f2.8 prime on the 20D and the 18-55 IS on the 450D

I took my nifty as well for low light , but in fact it didnt make much odds the difference between a f1.8 lens without IS and a f5.6 lens with IS proved to be negligible unless i shot the nifty wide open , and at f1.8 the dof is tiny.

personally my feeling is that zoom is the way to go - my ideal kit (which i do hire if the job warrants it) is a 24-70 f2.8 on one body and a 70-200IS on the other - I dont want to faff about changing lenses if i can help it.

.....personally my feeling is that zoom is the way to go - my ideal kit (which i do hire if the job warrants it) is a 24-70 f2.8 on one body and a 70-200IS on the other - I dont want to faff about changing lenses if i can help it.

I photographed a wedding yesterday for the first time (and found it so hard at times), but definitely would agree with the above re the 2 lenses. I used the 17-55 and didn't quite need the wider 17mm end but could have really done with that little bit of extra reach - I'd also say have a nifty-fifty in your pocket, mine was great for the pre-wedding shots of the bridal party getting ready and the detail shots

I've just managed to borrow another 500D (was offered the loan of a 7D which is a more capable camera but I would rather have the use of 2 cameras I know exactly how to work my way around) which I'm going to use my 100mm on and catch detail & candids with (hopefully), keep my 50mm in my pocket and have the 17-55mm on the other, I'll keep my other lenses by my side though

(apologies again Helen, still keeping on topic though ;) )

Bit of a late reply but yes. 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4. I carry a 24-70mm f/2.8 and now the 70-200mm f/2.8 which both only get brought out if I am in a church with restrictions on photography. Otherwise primes only. I just prefer them.

Bit of a late reply but yes. 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4. I carry a 24-70mm f/2.8 and now the 70-200mm f/2.8 which both only get brought out if I am in a church with restrictions on photography. Otherwise primes only. I just prefer them.

haha I'd not noticed, have come on a bit since then and am definitely a lot more comfortable with primes over zooms but have also bought the Sigma 70-200 2.8 from here for when i need the extra reach

this thread is helpful i m looking to get my gear for various uses hopefully two bodies good enough for indoor and outdoor uses then the lenses for outdoor and indoor uses..
weddings, portraits, event photos, concert photos, parties, corporate events hope to get some affordable gear....

better new than used isnt it i have been told to invest more in lenses than bodies so would love easily movable lenses for th rainy day when i afford the top range cams

tawacom said:
this thread is helpful i m looking to get my gear for various uses hopefully two bodies good enough for indoor and outdoor uses then the lenses for outdoor and indoor uses..
weddings, portraits, event photos, concert photos, parties, corporate events hope to get some affordable gear....

better new than used isnt it [\b]i have been told to invest more in lenses than bodies so would love easily movable lenses for th rainy day when i afford the top range cams

Look at the classifieds and you'll see that's not true - my lenses are a mix & both flashes are used and were good buys. Buy the best you can afford for the task in hand :)

Look at the classifieds and you'll see that's not true - my lenses are a mix & both flashes are used and were good buys. Buy the best you can afford for the task in hand :)

true but he can't access the classifieds (60 days and 25 posts remember)

That is alot of gear for most of you guys, how on earth do you manage to lug it all around and how do you plan the pictures for the day!?

That is alot of gear for most of you guys, how on earth do you manage to lug it all around and how do you plan the pictures for the day!?

I don't know about anyone else, but I use a dual harness (one camera with std zoom - the other varies).

What's not on the harness goes in quite a small bag, that's 3 other lenses, flash, batteries and cards.

Planning? Some may do more, but I concentrate for the most part on shooting what I see. With the exception of some posed Bridals before the ceremony, the posed groups straight after the ceremony and 2 sessions with the B&G (one straight after the groups, one later after the reception).

I suppose it helps having done it loads of times, but having a sheet of paper with the important timings and names of the important people is as close as I get to 'planning', there is sometimes (rarely) also a list of group shots.

I don't know about anyone else, but I use a dual harness (one camera with std zoom - the other varies).

What's not on the harness goes in quite a small bag, that's 3 other lenses, flash, batteries and cards.

Planning? Some may do more, but I concentrate for the most part on shooting what I see. With the exception of some posed Bridals before the ceremony, the posed groups straight after the ceremony and 2 sessions with the B&G (one straight after the groups, one later after the reception).

I suppose it helps having done it loads of times, but having a sheet of paper with the important timings and names of the important people is as close as I get to 'planning', there is sometimes (rarely) also a list of group shots.
Dual straps has revolutionised how I shoot and what I carry. The single best purchase accessory for a wedding photographer...

I'm doing my second wedding this weekend, again for friends of mine which is what I did last year. Just trying to decide if it's worth hiring another 5DII for the day - last time I used both my 5D and my 550D, but ended up using the 550D more than I wanted for the crop and ease of not having to swap lenses. I'm really just doing it for experience more than anything, so can't decide if I can justify the cost, but I want the best quality I can get!

I'd have thought you'd be fine, plenty of wedding photographers use a single 5D mkII. The only thing to consider is that the weather forecast is poor & 550Ds aren't great at high iso so if you end up shooting a lot indoors then it may be the 5D that needs to be used most.
The wedding I shot last Saturday was in foul weather in a cramped venue & so the majority of bride & groom shots were indoors with a 24-70 & the 70-200 which I much prefer using hardly got a look in.

2 full frame cameras, 70-200, 85mm and 50mm. Generally avoiding anything wider if I can.

As you would expect a few flash guns too!

The most important thing is people skills and good communication !!

5D MK III
6D
7D

24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4 prime

2 x Nissin Di866 MK II flash guns

Various remote triggers / receivers / TTL chords

One tip I'd give would be the secret to good lighting isn't using a flashgun instead of a pop up flash... but using that flashgun off camera to create a more dynamic and less flat light... add a diffuser and things start to look rather pretty (still trying to master this skill myself at the moment).

With the Canon range of camera's I wouldn't want to shoot a wedding with anything less than a 7D. Anything below isn't really suitable IMO and even the 7D struggles with ISO's over 1600 which are required often in churches and a lot of reception venues.

Back ups are important... I have had 2 different bodies fail mid wedding in the past and without a back up I'd have been completely screwed. I also use 4gb & 8gb memory cards and change these regularly throughout the day so if one corrupts I don't loose the full day's pics.

I know a guy who shoots whole weddings with a canon 450 and a 50mm 1.4! his pics are class!!!!

He will carry spares...and that is about it!

One tip I'd give would be the secret to good lighting isn't using a flashgun instead of a pop up flash... but using that flashgun off camera to create a more dynamic and less flat light... add a diffuser and things start to look rather pretty (still trying to master this skill myself at the moment).

Out of curiosity are you talking a light stand and a softbox, or just a bracket to take the flash to the side of the camera? what do you use?

Out of curiosity are you talking a light stand and a softbox, or just a bracket to take the flash to the side of the camera? what do you use?

Light stand with a shoot through umbrella usually.

That's just for the Bride and Groom pics though. The rest of the day I'm usually bouncing the flash off the wall or ceiling.

Occasionally if I have an assistant I might get him to hold the flash off camera to one side for things like shots of the groom and best man together when there's not enough time to set up things on a stand.

I also use an on flash softbox for times when I can neither bounce nor set up OCF properly

There is long list of equipments which one uses for wedding. Actually it depends on the wedding day i.e. whether the day is sunny or rainy or shady. according to the condition they use equipments. some of them is listed below
Cameras: 5DmkII, 5D.
Lenses: Canon 24-105 f4, Canon 70-200mm f2.8.
Lighting: Canon 580EXII, Canon 580EX, Canon 430EX, selection of reflectors (for daylight use).
and many more

1D X
5Dmk2
24-70 F/2.8L
28-70 F/2.8L (oldie but goodie)
50mm f/1.2L (my most favourite)
70-200 F/2.8L (used for long shots i.e. classic garden scenes)
4 x yongnuo 560's (love being a strobist)
3 x bowens light stands with a selection of umbrellas
2 x 80cm reflectors (gold, white, silver covers inc)
2x6m white vinyl with a phomax stand
4 x 64GB SD cards
Macbook air (a lot of people ask to view the photos, I leave the MBA on a slideshow and update it constantly for the guests)
1 x 40cm beauty dish and a 60cm version - these are a MUST in my opinion for softened clean light
All shots done in manual, the van has a 1500W inverter installed for charging and powering equipment if necessary and loads of BATTERIES!! Nothing worse than turning up with no batteries for your flash, 4 AA's won't last long at all over a space of nearly 12 hours!
And another tip, always Re-cap with the B&G on the day about the situation and what is expected of your work, yes you are there to capture the moment but people do have a preference to the style of work that they want from you etc :)

There are very often items left off of a wedding photographers list.
When i was doing weddings in the 1970's, i would also pack these items :-

1/ Pins, in case of wedding dress getting torn ripped, also to pin dress down on windy days.

2/ NEEDLES AND COTTON BLACK AND WHITE, in case quick repairs needed to brides, bridesmaids dresses, or groom's suit etc.

3/ Small bag of stones, again in case of windy day to hold the dress from blowing.

4/ Gaffer tape etc, you never know when something might break.

5/ Umbrella

These items, over the years, often came in very handy, but things that are often not thought of. (y)

Wedding shooting is one of the hardest photography jobs out there, you not only have to be competent at taking the shots, you also need to be a referee, crowd controller, social worker, comedian, psychologist, guru, diplomat, peace envoy, negotiator, shoulder to cry on and occasionally walking on water.
It ain't for the faint hearted.

I know the subject of backups has been done to death but it was brought into sharp focus for me on Thursday when my 7D died 2 hours before a wedding. I ended up shooting with a combo of 5DII and a D800 that I'd picked up for the first time 4 hours previously. Turned out okay in the end thankfully but it certainly concentrated the mind.

It all depends on your style of shooting. I've seen some photographers turn up with enough kit to fill a car. Softboxes, strobes, 3x camera, army of lenses etc. etc.

Last week I went to a wedding where a top end photographer turned up with a single 5DMk2 and nailed 90% of the wedding with a 35mm & 50mm prime with no flash whatsoever.

It all depends on your style of shooting. I've seen some photographers turn up with enough kit to fill a car. Softboxes, strobes, 3x camera, army of lenses etc. etc.

Last week I went to a wedding where a top end photographer turned up with a single 5DMk2 and nailed 90% of the wedding with a 35mm & 50mm prime with no flash whatsoever.

I am part of the 'fill the car' brigade .....not really had a major equipment failure on a live wedding shoot but you can never have enough back up for your back up........if carrying loads of gear worth deploying a bag person to assist on shoot

I believe in simplicity:
5dmII
5dmI
28mm 1.8
35mm L 1.4
50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8
135mm L 2
Flash with gels, although seldom used
4 & 8 gig memory cards

Wishlist:
5dmIII or another Mark II