Wedding Photography

I like the concept, but execution seems sloppy to me (probably down to editing and jpg quality)

Last edited:
I much prefer Martin Parr's work in this sort of field. To me, this just looks like some fairly random 'out-takes' rather than a totally intentional, dedicated and theme-specific project?

Last edited:
icon_stir.gif

Reading between the lines I get the impression that we're not getting the whole story, just the edited 'art' highlights. "Here, Weldon was getting ready to take a traditional group portrait."

I much prefer Martin Parr's work in this sort of field. To me, this just looks like some fairly random 'out-takes' rather than a totally intentional, dedicated and theme-specific project?

Agreed!

It kind of just looks like a load of documentary style shots that 90% of wedding photographers would take but never publish on the web (but would still be delivered to the couple). And then it’s being presented as if it’s something new? Or have I gotten the wrong end of the stick? :LOL:

There are plenty of really fantastic documentary style wedding photographers around. This dude isn’t one of them.

This reminds me of weddings years ago where they'd leave a Kodak film camera at every pew and leave the pics to the guests ... I see nothing special here whatsoever.

The same artical is in professional photographer this month as well, clearly a press release to sell copies of the book. And then you are never going to admit it's pretty common and direct people to work of people like York place studios etc

The 'art photography' world hasn't a clue what goes on outside its bubble, and if someone from inside the bubble shows something commonly done in the real world it gets accepted as ground-breaking. This work has been popping up on other 'art photography' and 'creative' sites recently because there's a book to sell and an exhibition at the Martin Parr Foundation (co-publisher of the book) coming up and there have been press releases send to such sites. https://www.martinparrfoundation.org/events/ian-weldon/

The "I am not a wedding photographer" tag is a marketing gimmick. Pure and simple. Check out Weldon's website and his documentary projects are nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
In years to come I wonder who would really want to see this tripe in their wedding album. Just a thought. Maybe I'm missing something, I do know that in reality it isn't tripe and is all very clever and I am wrong so I'll keep looking until I recognise it, get it and see it for the genius it is.

I suspect it's a triumph of sales technique over good taste.
:tumbleweed:

The 'art photography' world hasn't a clue what goes on outside its bubble, and if someone from inside the bubble shows something commonly done in the real world it gets accepted as ground-breaking. This work has been popping up on other 'art photography' and 'creative' sites recently because there's a book to sell and an exhibition at the Martin Parr Foundation (co-publisher of the book) coming up and there have been press releases send to such sites. https://www.martinparrfoundation.org/events/ian-weldon/

The "I am not a wedding photographer" tag is a marketing gimmick. Pure and simple. Check out Weldon's website and his documentary projects are nothing out of the ordinary.

TBH the whole thing seems very 'Martin Parr' to someone who's only lightly brushed past Parr's work, so it's probably not a surprise to see his name attached in some manner.

TBH the whole thing seems very 'Martin Parr' to someone who's only lightly brushed past Parr's work, so it's probably not a surprise to see his name attached in some manner.
Indeed.

Apparently Parr has shot weddings for money. Doesn't seem to show his wedding pics though.

Most of Martin Parr's colour work has a distinctive 'larger than life' look to it, with brightly saturated colours giving it a picture postcard type look, which I think enhances the quirky and/or absurd look of the subjects he tends to photograph.

However, to my eye, those wedding photos don't have that look, and I think they lose something of their aesthetic potential because of that. Also, I find most of those in that first link aren't as good an example of the genera as Parr's work; but then again, he is the current master. If it's done well (which I believe is surprisingly difficult for most photographers), I think it's one of the most entertaining and interesting forms of photography - it certainly beats the heck out of conventional landscape photography, which, let's face it, has been done to death and perused beyond the grave! …I'll get my coat! :coat:

Last edited:
The film "The Life of Pi" comes to mind. How we want things to be, and indeed how we believe and remeber things to be, contrasted against how things are.

In years to come I wonder who would really want to see this tripe in their wedding album. Just a thought. Maybe I'm missing something, I do know that in reality it isn't tripe and is all very clever and I am wrong so I'll keep looking until I recognise it, get it and see it for the genius it is.

If an unknown posted these on here the C&C would all over the place and I suspect mostly negative. But since this comes from known [to some I guess] photographers suddenly it's genius ... I really don't get it, but then I rate myself barely above the average tourist snapper

My daughter was sent every image with permission to do what she wanted to with the images by the way, before someone mentions copyright.

I think she wiped her arse on most of them.

After she took him to court and won her money back

If an unknown posted these on here the C&C would all over the place and I suspect mostly negative. But since this comes from known [to some I guess] photographers suddenly it's genius ... I really don't get it, but then I rate myself barely above the average tourist snapper

I think that people might think these are a good idea for someone else... but if getting this sort of picture in an album I think that quite a few people would eventually look back and wonder "What the flip were we thinking?"

If an unknown posted these on here the C&C would all over the place and I suspect mostly negative.

I haven't seen anyone have anything complementary to say about them, but OTOH the tog isn't here to receive crit, so there's no point tearing him a new one.

In wider context, Marcel Duchamp's Fountain always makes me wonder about work like this, whether someone's doing the same p155 take or if they're just a lousy togger with great marketing ability.

I haven't seen anyone have anything complementary to say about them, but OTOH the tog isn't here to receive crit, so there's no point tearing him a new one.

In wider context, Marcel Duchamp's Fountain always makes me wonder about work like this, whether someone's doing the same p155 take or if they're just a lousy togger with great marketing ability.

The crit part wasn't really the point - but when we do say our honest opinion there will always be a few who say it's because we don't know art or we're not cultured enough to understand or some BS.

Back