Wedding shoot lighting stress

Name
Geraint
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys. I just joined this site and forum because, as an amateur photographer, I have been asked to shoot my first wedding. Very good friends of mine, who will soon be newly-weds, have aksed if I can shoot their up-coming wedding as they wanted someone who knew them well to do the honours. I have had some experience of shooting events, with and without flash, and I have a basic grasp of lighting theory and techniques. However, the venue in which the reception will take place is a very challenging one for a photographer. I have visited there with my camera and a speedlite to get a feel for it and conduct some test shots and to be frank the results were less than encouraging. I tried to bounce the flash at 45 degrees over my shoulder and at 90 degrees but due to the dark brickwork and high dark wooden ceiling, the bounced light was less than desirable and had a slight colour cast (presumably due to the orange/brown colour of the brick walls). Additionally, the venue has low rafters which on the big day will be coupled with low slung lanterns. This pretty much rules out the use of off-camera flash with the help of an assistant as I will never be able to get the modifier high enough without wrecking the decor or bumping into a rafter. I really want to try and get some beautiful angled lighting if I can, short light the subjects, etc. The venue is the Canal Museum in London. Does anyone have any experience of shooting in there? Do you know of someone who has? As this is my first post I am not allowed to post any links but you can see photos on google to get an idea of what I'm up against. Please, any advice would be welcome, this assignment is a daunting one for me and I welcome any and all feedback.

The kit I will most likely use is as follows:

CAMERAS: Canon 5D mkii, Canon 5D
LENSES: Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8, Canon EF L IS USM 70-200 f4, perhaps also Sigma EX 85mm f1.4 and Sigma DG HSM 50mm f1.4
SPEEDLITES: Canon 580 EX II (x 2)
MODIFIERS: Westcott 26" RapidBox speedlite modifier + stand (if height/space allows... doesn't look likely though), on-camera speedlite mini-softbox/reflector (more than likely)

Not been there, but can you bounce flash off a big lastolite reflector or even your assistants white shirt? Bouncing off wall ect only really works if they are white, sadly thats not often the case.

An off camera flash at arms length can create some interesting results, either zoomed tight or with a decent sized modifier.

Though I will add, by the time youre into the reception you’re capturing the atmosphere rather than capturing amazing portraits, all of which you should have done earlier when you had the time and were in control.

Last edited:
Back