178271841_14aed3035d.jpg

178264735_1c9426fcb7.jpg

178264915_927a9d12fd.jpg

178264764_1a8b38f6fe.jpg

178264642_f26dfe4a45.jpg

Please be honest as that is the best way for me to learn,

Thanking you, Davy

I really like 1 & 2 and are my favourites,

3 & 5 seem out of focus, but it could be my eyes. (it was shutter speed I was seeing not focus dough)

4 is a nice shot but is too dark around the faces for me. Pity the light fell below the shoulder, but I guess you cant help that.

6 I like this, but maybe cropped a little to tight for me. You got them at the right moment as he was squeezing her bum, made me smile and I'm sure the couple will/did as well.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing more of you work. (y)

(Please note the comments above are only my opinion, and no offence intended in any way)

Some nice shots there, and little to pick flies out of IMHO. I think you've tended to crop a little tight in a few of these, making the figures look a little squeezed into the frame.

No 5 would be my pick of the bunch, despite not being sharp, but I presume they were dancing? Again it's a little tight particularly over the top, where it would have been nice to see all of the bride's hair decoration. The white blob behind the bride's hands is quite distracting - I'd clone that out as it really draws the eye beyond the couple.

Nice work though! :)

#1 - Well captured, and the oval type faded bordering works well.
#2 - Again, well captured, and the post processing suits the image.
#3 - I like the idea, but I can see evidence of too low a shutter speed used.
#4 - This and number 1 are my favourites. Well executed, well processed and it looks ace. It does feel a little underexposed though.
#5 - Nice, but again with the shutter speed.
#6 - One of the best of the 6 IMO. I think it might be better with the couple not so near the edge of frame, and with the table legs cropped off, and again, a little lighter.

All in all not too bad at all. A great set of images (y)
One thing I have noticed though....is eye contact. Shots 3 4 and 5 aside, 1 2 and 6 would benefit HUGELY from the subjects looking at you.

Nos 1 and 2 are very good, they would be fantastic if the parties were looking into your lens and laughing.
3 I honestly think is awful, the brides posture, bad hair and the processing combine to make her look 95 I hope you don't show her that one.
4 as others have said could be another good one but a bit too dark at the mo.
5 is a nice moment captured, I'm sure she'd be happy with that one.
6 again if they were looking into your lens it would be a great fun shot but as it is it doesn't work for me.

Techniques are OK, but some of the poses are a little contrived I think - the processing on the fiirst two is fine, but why aren't they looking at the camera? It's no good poaching photos over the other Phot's shoulders, you have to take control and engineer your images yourself. They are someone else's images that you happened to capture by accident otherwise.

Techniques are OK, but some of the poses are a little contrived I think - the processing on the fiirst two is fine, but why aren't they looking at the camera? It's no good poaching photos over the other Phot's shoulders, you have to take control and engineer your images yourself. They are someone else's images that you happened to capture by accident otherwise.

I know what you mean about poaching and that is exactally what I am doing at the moment. I try and catch people as they are just milling arround otherwise as you say I just have the same shots as the photographer only from a different angle.

This is the kind of honesty that I like it's no good holding back on these things or I won't learn.

Davy

ps, other than #2 and #6 the rest were all natural poses.

Nos 1 and 2 are very good, they would be fantastic if the parties were looking into your lens and laughing.
3 I honestly think is awful, the brides posture, bad hair and the processing combine to make her look 95 I hope you don't show her that one.
4 as others have said could be another good one but a bit too dark at the mo.
5 is a nice moment captured, I'm sure she'd be happy with that one.
6 again if they were looking into your lens it would be a great fun shot but as it is it doesn't work for me.

Thanks, I think that I'm going to have a go at trying to get some eye contact involved as quite a few of you have mentioned this. I'm the underdog at the moment as Sarah (the lady I'm assisting) is the one in command of the situation and the shots I take are only for my own interest which I take while taking meter readings, holding reflectors, changing film, hiding handbags and the like.

Here's a link to her web page http://www.sarahbrookman.co.uk

In view of what we feel were quite legitimate concerns expressed by Davy about certain comments in this thread, some posts have been edited to remove the references, and a couple (including one of mine) have been deleted.

The comments were irrelevant to the thread and to the critique requested by Davy, so the overall flow of the thread remains unaffected.

Hopefully no-one will feel unduly aggrieved at the editing. :D

I've had people acting as assistant a few times, with a view to picking up the game, but it's a difficult situation in that you can't afford to let them start directing the poses, which drags the whole thing out longer than it needs to be, so inevitably your shots are going to mimic the togs, albeit from a different angle, and you do lose the eye contact.

Time spent acting as assistant is invaluable in forming some idea how to tackle the job, but the sooner you take the plunge and go it alone the better really. ;)

In view of what we feel were quite legitimate concerns expressed by Davy about certain comments in this thread, some posts have been edited to remove the references, and a couple (including one of mine) have been deleted.

The comments were irrelevant to the thread and to the critique requested by Davy, so the overall flow of the thread remains unaffected.

Hopefully no-one will feel unduly aggrieved at the editing. :D

No, that's cool - I wasn't able to get back online after I had second thoughts about mine so aplogies if anyone spotted it before it was removed.

Back