Wedding shots

Edit My Images
Yes
For those who saw my thread in general about doing the photos at my friends wedding.
Here are the results..well a small selection...dont want to bore you too much.
Would appreciate some good feedback....I'm a big boy I can take it! :)
w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

I think wedding photos should be there to "capture the moment". Meaning people shot while they're not posing for a picture. Of course you need some posed photos as well.
To be honest, the first picture is really not very good. The idea is there, but the fountain is grabbing too much photo space, and the people in the background are only tiny. Though I'm not sure how you should go about it. :ponders:
The last photo is brilliant. :thumb: You caught the moment in that shot, plus the fountain was going in the background! :beer:

As for people posing shots, the backdrop would be very important. Something nice. An archway, or the fountain at a suitable distance so you get to see more of it but smaller and further away from the main subject.

Just my ameteur opinion. :D

moved here as you have more than 1 shot to critique.....

the last 3 are the best,
the first i dont like, its a waterfountain
Second is ok but i would crop closer, and then post process a bit to bring it out more
The third i would process more too, bring out the faces a bit more
4th, very good this, metered well just a shame someone distracted them,
5th is the best one, bit of processing and a tidy up!

overall not bad, got more??

First shot just doesn't work on any level Scoff, soz! The fountain would have made a great backdrop to that group though, assuming there was room to do it.

Shot 2. Oh dear! This is the happiest day of their lives and they look like they're standing there wondering what the photographer was doing, which they probably were. People left to their own devices will stand in front of the camera and line up like stumps, which is what has happened here. What was needed here was some input from YOU and advice on how to pose for the shot. If people don't get that they feel very vunerable and awkward and it really shows in this shot. Also you need to be outgoing and chatty and keep people smiling which would also have made a huge difference. There's nothing technically wrong with the shot at all, and you've chosen a decent background, but as I've said many times, the photography is almost incidental when doing weddings, you're being called on to exercise skill in posing and interplay with your subjects which you have no experience of, and that's the biggest hurdle to overcome for the newbie wedding photographer. You've also faced the couple into the sun in this shot which is why they're squinting uncomfortably

Shots 3 and 4 look far too squeezed into the frame, and the expressions are awful. You have to make sure that when you press that shutter button you have their full attention, and they're smiling.......... if they aren't, you have to make them do it!

The last shot - Bingo! - it's an absolute corker and they look like they're getting married and are actually both happy about it.;)

Nothing there to reproach yourself for Scoff, and let's face it, we're going to be more critical here than most people. The thing is to learn from this first wedding job, but the biggest problem with weddings isn't the actual photography, it's managing often large groups of people and getting your job done at the same time, and that really comes with experience. :)

Thanks for the input.
I must admit to being slightly daunted by the initial prospect, and very critical of my own performance!
The location was a nightmare! very noisy, middle of the city centre and at the same time as the Tour of Britain Cycle race! the finish line was 20m away!!
The location was a very public place, I had to shift on a few people just to get the spots we had!! lol oh well
There was absolutly no way (other than bomb scare) to get the group shots infront of the fountain :( TBH that would have been the setting for most of the shots, it was superb, but for 1/2 a council estate of children running about and getting wet!!!
Some of the shots I took I kicked myself for! I think the main issue was Time the clock on the limmo was running!! The whole process was rushed.
I fully take on board about making people pose!!!! I started to question why I was there at some point!!! The bride and groom didnt seem to want to have their piccies took. Oh well, was an experience. Several lessons learnt.
Next wedding in November lol see if I can improve on this one.
Again cheers for the critique, and Matt, sorry for needing moderation lol....ban me ;)

Good man Scoff for taking my remarks constructively and being honest about your first wedding experience! :thumb:

Taking your bride and groom shot as an example of posing.... letting them pose square to the camera like that is usually bad . Angling them slightly inwards towards each other would be better. There's so much you can do. They just got married after all, he could have an arm round her - they could be facing each other, but heads turned towards the camera. Look at how the groom's left sleeve is ruckled up and how his arms folding across his body are causing the front of his suit to ruckle up. That would stand out like a sore thumb when you've done a few more. ;)

The best thing you can do before your next wedding is just get some ideas, and you could do a lot worse than investing in a book or two on wedding photography or visiting the local library, but turn up armed with some posing ideas.

Your experience is fairly typical mate, people are far more interested in getting to the bar than getting the photos taken, but you have to take charge in a nice way and make sure you get the job done they're paying you to do. ;)

no worries Scoff, your card is marked, we're watching you!

Here are my worthless comments:

1. Nice idea but didn't work at all. Too much water, not enough people.

2. They look like they just met five minutes ago. You should have put them close together, his right hand behind her and turning slightly towards each other. She should have been holding the bouquet between them, and his left hand should also be somewhere behind the bouquet. A smile wouldn't have gone amiss either!

3. Nice composition but again, everyone in the picture looks completely cheesed off.

4. As 3, but at least the little lad at the front managed a 'winning smile'!

5. Really can't fault that last one.

CT said:
Your experience is fairly typical mate, people are far more interested in getting to the bar than getting the photos taken, but you have to take charge in a nice way and make sure you get the job done they're paying you to do. ;)

Paid? you get paid to do this?? ;)
This one was a favour, there was not going to be a photographer, like the grooms suit it was a cheap do!
the next one is the same, a cheap do....with me throwing in the photos as the wedding gift...and giving me some no lose expeerience! Not having much Idea what I'm doing I could never charge...Mabe next year!!! lol

Will have a look at a few books, for ideas for the next one....I got a feeling it will be a rainy november!!!
thanks for all the input, well received.

scoff said:
Paid? you get paid to do this?? ;)
Not any more, I packed it in about 3 years ago. I still get quite regular enquiries, but I turn them down out of hand, the photography we do here is far more interesting and rewarding. ;)

Back