Wee (like postcard sized) printer recomendations

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Good afternoon all!

For big stuff, I have my ancient but venerable Canon Pixma Pro 9500 MkII, costs an absolute fortune to feed with ink so I tend to use it in batches, rarely.

I'd like to have something small, for making postcard sized prints, like we used to get as proods from labs, or Boots on the High street.

There's a plethora of these gadgets available, anyone got any recomendations?

This is for family snapshots, scrapbooking, moodboarding, giving as wee proods to models & clients.

Being a luddite, I have an urge to jump in a darkroom and run off a batch of 5x7s.... But I haven't built the darkroom here yet.

I have a Canon Selphy CP1500, which produces 6x4s very well. It is a dye sublimation printer and produces long lasting prints. (If memory serves).

I'm happy, anyway.

Also a Selphy user. Not the cheapest option BUT it can be taken anywhere without the risk of ink spillage! Mines an old (now obsolete, probably) model but I'd have another.

I have a Canon Selphy CP1500, which produces 6x4s very well. It is a dye sublimation printer and produces long lasting prints. (If memory serves).

I'm happy, anyway.
I see that model is going at what looks like a very reasonable price just now too.

I see that model is going at what looks like a very reasonable price just now too.
I have the CP1300 which I believe is internally the same. The 1500 is essentially a facelift model. So if you wanted a cheaper option that's not quite as modern?

I really like it for knocking out quick 6x4s as tests or of family snaps.

The selphy is no the cheapest to run, but there is no ink to waste, as it uses a film of 4 colours to create the image, so out of a pack of 40 you get 40 prints, so no wastage, that is if gathered images are exposed or edited correctly

Last edited:
I got the CP1300 for peanuts. From what I've read there is no difference between the 1300 and the newer 1500 other than looks. Not sure if they are still available though.

The cartridges aren't the cheapest so it's not the most econimical printer but at least you don't have to worry about block nozzles if you don't use it for a while.

I use an Epson ET2756 for producing A5 (folded to A6) lettercards for my wife. Probably not the cheapest to buy, but the quality is more than aceptable and in the 3 years I've owned it I have not put any fresh ink in it; the tanks are still well over half-full.

Back