In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Ok so I tried to edit stuff in CS3 and got "scratch disc full"
I altered the setting to allow more memory
that didn't work I did a quick search and found a defrag might help so I did that
Now weird thing #1
here is a screen shot ( below) straight after the defrag as you can see bugger all happend with defraged files all over the place :shrug:
weird thing #2
I have a 300Gb hard drive
225Gb is available I assume the other 75Gb is partitioned for running windows :shrug:
weird thing #3
properties tell me that I only have 71Gb free, now I am positive that I don't have 150Gb of data strored besides I did a defrag about a month ago and had IRO 120Gb free I am sure that I have not added 50Gb of data in a month :shrug:
Any suggestions?
Thanks

defrag.jpg

Defrag will speed up disc access, it will not create space.

Your picture says the disc is 226Gb not 300 and has 71Gb free. Do you have some of the disc as a recovery partition (which may be hidden) or as another drive letter like D: ?

You are sure it is 300Gb?

Try emptying the recycle bin etc. to create space. defrag usually will not run if there are disc errors but it may still be worth doing an errror check.

what I would do is
a) shutdown and restart in case anything has files open
b) check for temporary files - and delete them
c) empty your internet cache, files, offline content
d) then try a defrag

also
your picture is only 1% into the defrag - let it finish and see what it's like!

Defrag will speed up disc access, it will not create space.

Your picture says the disc is 226Gb not 300 and has 71Gb free. Do you have some of the disc as a recovery partition (which may be hidden) or as another drive letter like D: ?

You are sure it is 300Gb?

Try emptying the recycle bin etc. to create space. defrag usually will not run if there are disc errors but it may still be worth doing an errror check.
Cheers Robert (y)I'm pretty sure that 75Gb is partioned for windows operating system everything already cleared out as above

what I would do is
a) shutdown and restart in case anything has files open
b) check for temporary files - and delete them
c) empty your internet cache, files, offline content
d) then try a defrag
Done Mike

also
your picture is only 1% into the defrag - let it finish and see what it's like!

Mike, I hit the analyze key imeadiately after the defrag had finished thats what I printed
It looked like that before it started and when had finished Cheers

hmmm
what does/did View Report give you - normally lists the files with "lots" (deliberately vague) of extents?

If defrag isn't defragging I'd suspect a disc error.

Where you found defrag in properties there is error checking. Run a check. it will need to restart then will sit there for some time (could be hours if you set it to scan the disc for bad sectors so don't do that for now) with the checkdisc screen, after which windows will restart.

hmmm
what does/did View Report give you - normally lists the files with "lots" (deliberately vague) of extents?

I didn't think to look Mike
I will run it again and see

Where you found defrag in properties there is error checking. Run a check. it will need to restart then will sit there for some time (could be hours if you set it to scan the disc for bad sectors so don't do that for now) with the checkdisc screen, after which windows will restart.
Thanks Robert I'll try that now, just run spybot and found a bucket load of tracking cookies don't kno wif that's part of the problem?
One other thing I tried a "roll back" a couple of days ago and it didn't / wouldn't / couldn't

Last edited:
Ok so I tried to edit stuff in CS3 and got "scratch disc full"
I altered the setting to allow more memory
that didn't work I did a quick search and found a defrag might help so I did that
Now weird thing #1
here is a screen shot ( below) straight after the defrag as you can see bugger all happend with defraged files all over the place :shrug:
weird thing #2
I have a 300Gb hard drive
225Gb is available I assume the other 75Gb is partitioned for running windows :shrug:
weird thing #3
properties tell me that I only have 71Gb free, now I am positive that I don't have 150Gb of data strored besides I did a defrag about a month ago and had IRO 120Gb free I am sure that I have not added 50Gb of data in a month :shrug:
Any suggestions?
Thanks

defrag.jpg

That screen shot indicates that 'Defrag' has not finished. With a disc that fragmented it could take hours to complete even without a disc scan for bad sectors. I'd set it running and leave it running all night - seriously. When Defrag has finished it will show a stats screen giving you the option to 'see' how well defrag has worked.

Where you found defrag in properties there is error checking. .
All I've got is Defrag and dics clean up in "system tools" :shrug:

That screen shot indicates that 'Defrag' has not finished. .

Thanks Gofer but as above it was an analyse screen shot imeadiately after it had finished running

It says there it's compacting files as well?

All I've got is Defrag and dics clean up in "system tools" :shrug:

In windows explorer right click the c: drive and choose properties. There should be a tools tab with defrag and error checking on it.

What i do when i seem to be loosing disk space is a search for files above 10mb... that normally highlights a lot of temp, random and weird files that ive either downloaded and forgotten about or shows something is going wrong, i recently ran out of space on my iMac and discovered i had 15x4.7gb (70gb+) of DVDrips of my Top gear collection... I ripped them and never got around to divx/h.264 compressing them... :p

Erm this is really really weird................. reboot after the spybot scan, clear-out..........
I just went into properties as suggested for the disc check and the figures are almost a reverse of what they were Ie I now have 170Gb FREE space..................
I am just about to search to see if anything obvious has been thrown away...........

Virus binned along with the spyware perhaps :shrug:

Weird weird weird
taken a couple of minutes ago :shrug:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys seems to be sorted..... maybe it was a virus?

defragII.jpg

Back