Well Car Insurance has defo gone up :-(

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after a fair few years of seemingly super cheap car insurance mine might take a beating.

2016 Citroen C3 1.2 Petrol been around £280 now for a bunch of years, even managed to snaffle £260 with £25 cashback from Quidco last year.
Now best I am getting with all my options, curt car, glass cover, full comp, keys etc is around the £400 on go compare and my quote from Hastings £406...

oh well

My insurance last year was £585, this year it went up t £695. I had a look around and found a comparable policy for 595, When I phoned and asked if they could match it they had a look and got back to me with £535.... very strange

My insurance last year was £585, this year it went up t £695. I had a look around and found a comparable policy for 595, When I phoned and asked if they could match it they had a look and got back to me with £535.... very strange

I have been with Hastings for about 5 years and always managed to juggle between gocompare and them and come out cheaper, there are a few that popped up cheaper like marmalade essentials (errr no) when i looked at my hastings quote for £406 it has everything from curt car, keys, hire car, widscreen with excess but my screen is massive...

oddly enough hastings didnt even pop up on gocompare this year so far.

Mine went down after a trip to the meerkat home.
Its £320, And that's cheaper than the previous year and more than £100 less than this years quote for a pocket rocket 2l turbo VXR
And that's with the nodding dog.
TBH I forget who the previous one was, but I think it was esure.

Got a few months yet but not expecting good things. The number of car thefts round here has gone through the roof.

i'm still a month away from renwal i will do the martin lewis thing and check in a week apparently 21 days before policy renewal is the sweeeeet spot.

Mine's a touch under £300 this year. Nodding dog.

wife's car renewal was coming up so I decided it was time to buy her something else i was a little shocked when the premium went up by around £350 and now paying around £550..... but there again she has an extra 160bhp on tap so i can't complain. ;) :)

I don't know how old people here are, but there's a definite dip in the price curve when you reach a certain age and they realise you aren't a stupid teenager any more (iirc it's early 50s). Then you get to 75 and the curve becomes vertical.

For all the 43 years that I've been insuring my own cars, the premium has been in the £2XX range apart from one year when it dipped down to just under with an introductory discount with a new property. Considering that when I started, I was taking TPF&T cover and am now on fully comp with extras, I don't think the rise over the years is too bad!

I think everything has gone up happy to accept that I read somewhere that cars parts for some makes/models have rocketed and wages at least 10% in most sectors.
Also most cars now repairs cost a lot more due to their complexity, i got a better quote of £358 all in so I think in about a week I will give our friends at Hastings a call and see if they will haggle.

well gave Hastings a ring and did the super polite thing as Martin Lewis says more with Honey and they moved quite a bit. Down from £406 to £358 which to be fair is still £30 more than some online quotes were coming in at but given all the extras I have on I think its good, so quite a happy bunny :)

well gave Hastings a ring and did the super polite thing as Martin Lewis says more with Honey and they moved quite a bit. Down from £406 to £358 which to be fair is still £30 more than some online quotes were coming in at but given all the extras I have on I think its good, so quite a happy bunny :)
I was with Hastings last year, but they wanted to increase my premium from £374 to £805 on renewal. No accidents, no claims, no convictions, no changes of any kind. And my car is just a Golf shopping trolley . . .
So I went elsewhere, but the best I could get was £501.

When I rang Hastings to cancel they offered me £624, but still far too much. And, more to the point, I expect people to make their best offer, I don't think it's straightforward to try to get a very high amount and then start bargaining when the customer says "No".

Mine went up, although I tried other sites I couldn't get it any lower, I'd pretty much resigned myself to have to absorb the increase, but after checking the documents I noticed a minor error according to the policy, I had the vehicle since 2021, when it was actually 2019, result a much lower increase, so worth checking things over throroughly

I've been insured through Lloyds Bank for the last 2 years, and paid £153 fully comp on a Volvo C30 1.8 on the last renewal...... this years quite was £230.... Went on topcashback who have an insurance comparison page..... did a quote with them and the cheapest price for me was £156 with RAC...... opted to go with a slightly higher quote of £170 with the RAC for a few extras thrown in and I'll get £45 cashback on that too!!! Lloyds Bank didn't even bother to try and re-quote me when I told them what my lowest quote was!!!

We have insured with direct line for years, got quotes from other companies most years but not been worth changing- and they were really good when a kid crashed into our car and the father said nowt to do with me mate- he paid after direct line threatened court action.
This year‘s quote is up 24%, have now insured with Churchill for £258 vs direct line £435 and hopefully we will get £38 off Quidco in a few months.

Noticed on Churchill site - they are part of the direct line group

Prices of new cars goes up, EVs are more expensive to fix because of costs associated with battery damage in collisions...insurance companies pay out bigger repair bills and everyone's premiums go up because of it.

young kids insurance is now rocketing as they are seen as much higher risk than they were years ago.
must admit not surprised the way i see them driving now adays , they seem glued to there phones even when on (legal) hands free
my wife says her nurse literally connects when she gets into the car and spends all here driving time catching up with her mates on phone.

Mine's gone up 36%. Same drivers, same cars, no accidents or claims.
Time to shop around.

I normally set my oldest boy on the task when the renewals come in, we have 4 or 5 cars on an Admiral multicar policy and he likes nothing better than to haggle with them and usually gets a better deal. He also deals with all my new car negotiations.

Due in the next month IIRC, lets see how he does this year

It went up on average by 29% last year. I can't work out why they must have made a killing during covid with everyone paying their car insurance and driving there cars less due to restrictions.
I read it was mostly due to increased labour rates for repairs (inflation matching pay rises), cost of parts and transportation increasing, plus parts shortages meaning hire cars are required for longer for many repairs.

I've had an increase just this last week on one of our cars. I said once it breaks the £300 barrier with my current insurer, I'd shop around. It came in just under £300 last year, £293. This year, it's gone up to £323. Not a massive increase but through the magic number for me.

So I shopped around..............

Compare The Market ----- £243 with the AA, including a low level of breakdown cover .........

but £303 with the AA direct, odd. :thinking:

Both covers seem very similar, so I'll be going with the CTM quote. I'm hoping I don't have to ask for proof of my NCD off my current insurer, I don't like that bit. If it saves me £80 though, I will.

We are in our early seventies. Car insurance around £200 each. Holiday insurance is now around £350 per year! You win some, you lose some! :)

I read it was mostly due to increased labour rates for repairs (inflation matching pay rises), cost of parts and transportation increasing, plus parts shortages meaning hire cars are required for longer for many repairs.
Yes, this.

I'm hoping I don't have to ask for proof of my NCD off my current insurer, I don't like that bit. if it saves me £80 though, I will.
Although I generally swap every year, well most years, I've not been asked for that in a very long time, they have a data base that they all work from.
And can tell if you are telling porkies.

My renewal has home in with a ~30% increase. Need to have a look around today.
My mum said her LV home insurance had gone up from mid £250's to over £440. Did a quick compare the meerket and found at least 3 of the bigger companies still around £250-280 and even LV on compare the meerkat was cheaper than her renewal.
She was preparing to have a stearn chat with them

Although I generally swap every year, well most years, I've not been asked for that in a very long time, they have a data base that they all work from.
And can tell if you are telling porkies.

I've been with my current insurers a while now, 4 years, maybe 5. I saw the option on the renewal notice online, to not renew. I think it is that simple now as I had a similar situation with our house insurance a while back. Whenever I changed house insurance, I always got a letter from our mortgage provider saying it had lapsed. That hasn't happened the last twice, so I'm presuming that's all digital too.

I think it will be the same when I change car insurance in a week or so. (y)

My mum said her LV home insurance had gone up from mid £250's to over £440. Did a quick compare the meerket and found at least 3 of the bigger companies still around £250-280 and even LV on compare the meerkat was cheaper than her renewal.
She was preparing to have a stearn chat with them
Last time I tried they would not budge, they are now owned by Allianz. I have just renewed home insurance with MBNA, part of Lloyds, it was cheaper even after adding accidental damage and outbuildings!

I saw the option on the renewal notice online, to not renew.
There are still a lot of insurers that make it difficult to opt out, of auto renew. "They" use the excuse that it saves "us" time and deletes the risk of you not being insured.
Yeah of course its for our benefit :rolleyes: it drives me nut TBH.

Last time I tried they would not budge,
I always assume that it's their best price, which of course it hardly ever is.
If you have an account with the likes of the meerkat, the details are saved, and its far quicker, getting a quote and accepting it,
than actually phoning these places, and listening to crap music...

Our 5 cars and house renewal came in at about £5000 and my son just spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with them and got it down by about £800

I've been paying more or less the same amount for the past 14 years on my Saabs. I thought my latest would be prohibitive because it's the new gen 9-5 (parts unobtainium) but my OH's Golf shot up last year (2016 R-Line 1.4)...could be parts situation on newer cars but when I checked what it would cost to replace the car I noticed a 2016 car costs the same now as it did in 2020!

I got my renewal a couple of weeks ago. It was about a 10% increase, although still quite low compared to some folk. I paid just under £300 last year and I said once that insurer broke through £300, I would shop around. I did, yesterday and today and although I've not made a massive saving, it's still very significant and and the final total is just about £250, fully comprehansive, with breakdown cover, for myself and my wife. So roughly £70 still sitting in my bank account that wouldn't have been otherwise.

I can't complain at that.

Edit, saying that, £70 saving is quite a lot.

Last edited:
Back