Welsh Highland Line - train photographers special.

I'd be surprised if a Fairlie was powerful enough to do the full route which is why the WHR has the Garratts,the shot however is a well balanced composition but rather to much contrast for my personal taste

I'd be surprised if a Fairlie was powerful enough to do the full route which is why the WHR has the Garratts,the shot however is a well balanced composition but rather to much contrast for my personal taste

I think there were only 3 or 4 coaches. The train had to stop in the Aberglaslyn pass for the engine to nip up to Beddgelert for water! Those garretts are monsters, aren't they..... but not quite british ;)

I think there were only 3 or 4 coaches. The train had to stop in the Aberglaslyn pass for the engine to nip up to Beddgelert for water! Those garretts are monsters, aren't they..... but not quite british ;)

That makes sense and I know the Garratts dont look British even though they were built in Manchester they do look magnificent amongst the mountains

4606213857_d3cbe3d75c_o.jpg

I was gutted to miss this. First I heard of it was when the resulting images were posted online!

A fairlie is more than capable, don't forget the NWNGR was run with 2 single fairlies, and in WHR days the old WW1 Balwdin was used for the whole run. Admittedly no passnegers but hey...

I think this charter was all Empty stock?

I was gutted to miss this. First I heard of it was when the resulting images were posted online!

A fairlie is more than capable, don't forget the NWNGR was run with 2 single fairlies, and in WHR days the old WW1 Balwdin was used for the whole run. Admittedly no passnegers but hey...

I think this charter was all Empty stock?

There was a couple of dozen train photographers on it, apparently they'd paid a fortune. It ran up to Caernarfon on the Saturday and back on the Sunday. At strategic locations, including this one, everybody piled off and the train did several run-pasts for people to take pictures. One of the FR people preparing the engine told me about it as I was standing on the Cob outside the depot, photographing Snowdon.....

There was a couple of dozen train photographers on it, apparently they'd paid a fortune. It ran up to Caernarfon on the Saturday and back on the Sunday. At strategic locations, including this one, everybody piled off and the train did several run-pasts for people to take pictures. One of the FR people preparing the engine told me about it as I was standing on the Cob outside the depot, photographing Snowdon.....

Well it depends how you define a fortune - but i doubt they were too pleased to find you gate crashing their party.

If he was on public land there is sod all they could do about it

I fully understand that but the reason why the details of these charters are often withheld is to stop the gate-crashers joining in given the cost to the participants.

I do not believe the second photograph is taken from public land, but I stand to be corrected.

I fully understand that but the reason why the details of these charters are often withheld is to stop the gate-crashers joining in given the cost to the participants.

I do not believe the second photograph is taken from public land, but I stand to be corrected.

Look which side of the fence he is on and I now think I know where he was,just downstream from the bridge,and that is on public land

Its a really good shot but where were you when you took it,half way up a ladder?

The line goes though a couple of short tunnels here. The train is emerging from one of them, and I am standing above the second .......the other side of the fence.:D. I was on National trust land. Eventually several of the guys on the charter train came and joined me.

Last edited:
The line goes though a couple of short tunnels here. The train is emerging from one of them, and I am standing above the second .......the other side of the fence.:D. I don't know whose land it was but it certainly wasn't the WHR's!

Eventually several of the guys on the charter train came and joined me.

Its public land Jeremy I have walked along there many times

They're paying for the train to be run specially and to be of a particular consist, not for the privealge to take photos, anyone gets that privealge any time.

They're paying for the train to be run specially and to be of a particular consist, not for the privealge to take photos, anyone gets that privealge any time.

No they ran it so they could take pictures of it.

Clearly anyone else in the area can take pictures of it from public land.

Its up to anyone in the second category to decide whether they also ought to contribute or not to the not insubstantial cost of hiring the train.

I felt I was a bit cheeky being there, but it was a guy in the FR Boston Lodge depot who told me about the train, and exactly what time it would be in the Glaslyn Gorge - at midday when the sun is at its highest - earlier that morning. I was surprised no-one else seemed to know about it.

It arrived at 11.50 am, bursting out of the main tunnel with a huge amount of smoke and steam, and then just stopped. One passer-by thought it must have been a ghost train. After a while the engine was detached and went up the line to Beddgelert, where it took on water and came back. Then were about four run-pasts.

I certianly didn't feel like I should contribute towards the cost of it. Once out there, it's in the public domain, really. Maybe I should have bought the FR guy a pint.

Last edited:
No they ran it so they could take pictures of it.

Clearly anyone else in the area can take pictures of it from public land.

Its up to anyone in the second category to decide whether they also ought to contribute or not to the not insubstantial cost of hiring the train.

What I mean is chartering a train gets you just that, a Train at your disposal, it does not get you exclusive photgraphy rights.

They paid because that's what they wanted to see and they got it, To anybody else it's just a great photo opportunity like any other.

What I mean is chartering a train gets you just that, a Train at your disposal, it does not get you exclusive photgraphy rights.

They paid because that's what they wanted to see and they got it, To anybody else it's just a great photo opportunity like any other.

And that is why the times of these charters remain mainly out of the public domain

Back