welsh national airshow...

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
okay,this is first ever attempt at this type of photography..so go easy on me ;).took these today at the welsh national airshow at the swansea waterfront,a great day with me enjoying my first ever airshow...

one things i messed up on though...wrong shutter speed for the propped planes,oh,and i need a longer focal length lens than a 70-200 +1.4TC!

1/
DSC03036.jpg

2/
DSC03015.jpg

3/
DSC03302_filtered.jpg

4/
DSC03297_filtered.jpg

5/
DSC03287_filtered.jpg

6/
DSC03247_filtered.jpg

7/
DSC03242_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set of shots .... im thinking the lancaster has been busy today ... flypast in Northampton, airshow at swansea and also at duxford ... all in one day (guessing theres more than one flying ***)

partictlarly liking #1, #4 & #7

Then you add more as im posted ,.... spoilt for choice now great work

Last edited:
thankyou very much keith..appreciate your comments (y)

yep,there's probably more than one lancaster bomber flying today..was great to see it flying,but the euro fighter was something else...different era though,so not fair to compare ;)

I have yet to see a Eurofighter in the air yet. going to try and get to an airshow or 2 next year (may try to go down to Plymouth Hoe for Septembers show there yet) but i agree u cant compare the 2 of them ... both beautiful in their own special way

Looks like I missed a great day out :(, smashing pics Stan (y)
Have had the pleasure of seeing the Red Arrows many times at Silverstone and this year also experienced the Euro fighter...which was mind blowingly awesome btw

Looks like I missed a great day out :(, smashing pics Stan (y)
Have had the pleasure of seeing the Red Arrows many times at Silverstone and this year also experienced the Euro fighter...which was mind blowingly awesome btw

thank you grandslammer..appreciate your comments (y)

was indeed a good day mate..i had put a thread in meeting place about it,but no replies unfortunately.the red arrows were great,but that euro fighter is something else...you've gotta love the noise it makes :eek: :woot:

Lovely set. Pitty about the lack of prop blur on the planes.

There are only two Lancasters that can fly, the one in these photos from the BBMF and another one in .................. Canada, so you did indeed have only one Lancaster in the UK flying to all those events today.

Nope - there is only one flying Lancaster in the UK. (2 left, but the other is in Canada) - 5 Spits and 2 Hurricanes - (according to the BoB Memorial Flight website)

Some nice shots there for a first effort - I am looking to give my Siggy 120-400 a good first outing at Lowestoft Thursday week for their airshow..........

Edit: oops sorry JPS - must read through all comments before posting a reply....... well i'll leave it unedited, as am sure one or two will have a look at the info on the BoB website

Last edited:
Yes HR-W / BQ-B is the only flying Lanc in the UK and she is part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight BBMF. See:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/

For more info.

However, their is another in the UK which does a taxie up and down a World War II runway, you can pay a small amount for a ride in history. See:

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

A fantastic place to visit!

Finally good effort on the shots, shame on the lack of prop blur but practise makes perfect! For reach think of renting a Bigma next time! :wave:

Last edited:
Just slightly off topic from these photos but I got talking to an old boy at Waddington Airshow the other weekend, he had just come back from a holiday in Canada where he had managed to get a flight in their Lancaster for the equivalent of £1000. They give 'rides' out to paying punters and as he'd flown the Lancasters back in WWII once he realised that there was a chance that he could go up in one again - he got himself to the bank over there and took out the best spent £1000 he'd ever had he said.

Nope - there is only one flying Lancaster in the UK. (2 left, but the other is in Canada) - 5 Spits and 2 Hurricanes - (according to the BoB Memorial Flight website)
Those 5 Spits and 2 Hurris listed are just in the BBMF itself. There are plenty more in the UK and other parts of the world, thankfully!

It's not uncommon to see about 9 Spitfires chasing each other around at Duxford each year at Flying Legends (though I didn't go this weekend). Oh, the sound of all those Merlins... :love:

Good job Stan, I made it there yesterday but not in time to see the Red Arrows.

Nos. 13 & 14 for me (y)

Will hopefully post mine up tonight :)

The Euro Fighter was awesome, unbelievable how agile it was, and the noise! Phwoar! My mates little boy hid under his mums coats bless him :)

Super set just a pity about the props, jets are supposed to be easier to get due to no props but I find them hard due to the speed yet props are harder because you have to pan and get the shot sharp yet get the prop blur meaning slow shutter and I have gone as low as 1/60 so keep practising for the prop planes because if you can get them this sharp and get prop blur you are on a winner.

Pete

cheers guys...(y)

it was a pity we couldn't have met up...it was a great day,and reasonably happy with these for my first attempt(apart from the lack of prop blur of course).

steve...i've just come back from london,so will look for yours and leave comment ;).the euro fighter was,as you say..unbelieveable.i left shortly after,and caught the chinook helecopter from a distance....wow,that thing is really agile :eek:.and sort of saw/heard the wingwalking biplanes as i was driving away..they made some noise too..

oh,and i need a lens with more reach,as these have had some cropping i tell ya...:naughty:

You got damn closer to that Euro Fighter than I managed mate, what size lens were you looking through? You can see the dudes oxygen mask!

Only got the wing walkers up, you must have a steadier hand than me mate, or a higher MP ;)

Back