West Yorkshire Cameras sale

Oooo, Mamiya 6 on sale.... Oh mine.
Is this what you intended?

Some years ago at Ffords I examined a Mamiya rangefinder - can't recall if it was a 6 or 7. I suppose at my advanced age my memory is all at 6s and 7s anyway :) . I found that the lens intruded into the view through the viewfinder, and decided it wasn't for me.

Is this what you intended?

Some years ago at Ffords I examined a Mamiya rangefinder - can't recall if it was a 6 or 7. I suppose at my advanced age my memory is all at 6s and 7s anyway :) . I found that the lens intruded into the view through the viewfinder, and decided it wasn't for me.
I can certainly see how that might be a negative factor for some. Personally I didn't mind that aspect so much, but what I do mind is the price! As much as I would love to have and use a mamiya 6 (or 7 for that matter), it just never seems to be high enough on my priority list to justify against the price. Same as for a motorbike: I've always wanted one, but can never justify the price against other stuff that I would also like.

It's also the opportunity cost. I 'could' spend £1500 on a mamiya 6, or I could go on holiday somewhere incredible and take what cameras I own already. I suppose the reality is that I'd prefer to be outside with a camera, than inside with a slightly larger camera collection!

@Woodsy Far too sensible! I still find it quite incredible that my wife actually encouraged me to buy a Linhof 617, not exactly an everyday sort of camera nor at all cheap, because she saw it in the window of our local camera shop and thought it looked cool!

@Woodsy Far too sensible! I still find it quite incredible that my wife actually encouraged me to buy a Linhof 617, not exactly an everyday sort of camera nor at all cheap, because she saw it in the window of our local camera shop and thought it looked cool!
Definitely a keeper (not saying which one!).

I can certainly see how that might be a negative factor for some. Personally I didn't mind that aspect so much, but what I do mind is the price! As much as I would love to have and use a mamiya 6 (or 7 for that matter), it just never seems to be high enough on my priority list to justify against the price. Same as for a motorbike: I've always wanted one, but can never justify the price against other stuff that I would also like.

It's also the opportunity cost. I 'could' spend £1500 on a mamiya 6, or I could go on holiday somewhere incredible and take what cameras I own already. I suppose the reality is that I'd prefer to be outside with a camera, than inside with a slightly larger camera collection!
I love mine, and the viewfinder intrusion isn't really ever enough to really bother me, but with current prices I'd be hard pressed to buy again

I sold mine with a 75 15 years ago here at tpf, for £400....:oops: :$

Thought it was a mistake not long after but ended up buying it back 3 months later when the buyer didn't get on with it, I then went on to acquire the other two lenses.

Originally I bought the body and 75 for £350, the 50 was £300 on its own and the 150 was £90 or somewhere around that.

15-20 years ago, that was not a small amount of money especially for film camera stuffs, I'd be tempted to say its all relative were it not for the fact that film cameras are old tech and should really be cheap niche, but something has definitely gone wrong there...lol

Back