Non UK Western Australia

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm doing a trip up the west coast of Australia next month and looking for some suggestions on good locations to shoot.

There will be two or three of us and we are hiring a 4x4 camper and going Perth>Coral Bay>Broome>Darwin in 3 weeks. It's a bit of a tight time scale but hopefully we can fit the major parks in!

The current feeling is doing Pinnacles, Kalbarri, Sharks Bay, 80 mile beach for about a day each with Karijini for a couple of days, then heading past Broome and possibly doing some of the Gibbs River road alongside Windjana Gorge, then a few days in the Bungle Bungle, Kakadu and Litchfield.

Any great locations in those areas would be good or other areas that may be better. Landscape, Nightscape and Wildlife are all good! Any specific places we should be at sunset/sunrise? Good places for startrails and stars capes etc, especially if they're not well known. :)

Thanks

Sounds like a great trip Andy, but a lot of ground to cover in thee weeks, if you going to spend time at each location en-route. Wave Rock might be worth a visit.

My daughter and family lived in WA for five years (now back in UK), and my wife and I would go out there every year for six weeks at a time.

Given the time you are going, it shouldn't be too hot. We used to be in WA around Christmas time, and it would hit 44C on the coast, and 50C inland.

Once you get up country, and away from the city, you'll be amazed at the pristine dark skies, and a 60 sec exposure will capture some great Milky Way shots, and also the Large and Small Magellenic Clouds.

Just watch out for the snakes when you get up to the Pilbara region, if you head out to the arid desert areas, and of course don't go swimming or paddling in the rivers or Billabongs up around Darwin!! ;)

Have great trip, and look forward to seeing some pics when you get back.

BTW, speed limits are quite low in WA (100Kmph (62mph) on the freeway, and strictly enforced.

The Police set up the their speed cameras on low level tripods by the roadside, and run a cable back to their vehicle, which is usually hidden from sight, in the bushes. No warning signs!!.

Dave

Last edited:
I saw the most boring sunset I have ever seen just north of Perth!

It just disappeared into the sea with no colours to be seen at all. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's going to be a bit of a whistlestop tour in a few of the locations but I wanted to do Sharks bay and the Bungle Bungle so it makes sense to do it this way.

Back