Western Lowland Gorilla

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are a few from a recent trip to Port Lympne Zoo...

1. The Big Yawn

NR7V1338.jpg

2. Here's Looking at You

NR7V1378.jpg

3. Profile

NR7V1318.jpg

4. Contemplation

NR7V1499.jpg

5. Shifty

NR7V1465.jpg

All with EOS 1D Mk II and 500mm f/4L IS and tripod.

As usual, any C&C appreciated

Thanks

Paul

There are some cracking expressions there (y)
I am sure I know the person in #5 though :D

He looks more tired than dangerous :)

#2 stands out to me.

Quite like the soft furry look but I think I'd have sharpened them a bit more.

1st & last ones for me Paul, 1st because of the expression & the last because you have controlled the exposure very well & beneath the browline isn't dominated by shadow - very difficult subjects to photograph - especially against such a bright background & with the light looking the way it does. Very nicely done (y)

Well exposed, but far too cropped for me.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I have a different view of sharpness to many people and I think that probably comes from spending many years with films. I tend to bristle at over sharpened pictures and therefore probably err too far on the side of caution.

The pictures are tight but all are straight from camera (it's what a 500 does for you!) I also took a number of pics on shorter lenses but the enclosure is cluttered and I struggled to get anything to work for me. They had a concrete wall behind them and climbing frames - good for them but bad for photos.

Does this work better for you?

nr7v1419.jpg

or this one?

nr7v1482.jpg

I have to admit that one of the problems with the day was the very bright sun from behind - it was much easier to get a good exposure if not trying to get the silverback in!

me9q1709.jpg

Paul

Hadn't really thought about how cropped they were but looking at these they do show the power of him as well as expressions.

Great set Paul, a lovely looking animal, and I like the tight framing.

No2 for me(y) shows a wonderful animal a it's very best!

Back