South-West England Westonbirt Colours

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Any Gloucestershire locals know how the the colours are coming along at Westonbirt this year? The website says it is 'Turning Golden' but is it really, already? Any update would be most appreciated!

Many thanks! :)

Hi Mike, I was there on Wednesday when it was dull and cloudy but the Acers are coming along nicely.
Most of the other trees are starting to show their colours but i would guess it will be a couple of weeks for all of them to be colourful.
Really depends on the weather if it remains windy then that won`t help.

There is quite a lot of leaves on the ground already

I am a member so get in for free so tend to go quite a lot during October.

It is always packed at this time of year

Simon

Thanks, Simon....maybe I'll give it go towards the end of next week, then! :)

Hi @sjh2008 Just wondered if there's any update on the colours please? I'm looking to go Monday or Tuesday next week if you're about or anyone else. As a side note, I notice it opens at 09:00 so was wondering if you can park anywhere else so to get the first light?

I was there about 10 days ago, colours are about as good as it gets for the Acer's, lots of the other trees are still green or partly changed. Since I went there storm Ophelia has passed over UK so I am not sure how much is still on the trees. It terms of first light the place is officially closed until 9am. But it's easy to hop over the wall by the roadside but that's entirely your choice not sure if they have any security patrols. Be sure to visit both the old and new arboretum as they have lots of photo opportunities.

Hi Paul, did you go and what was it like? just wondered, and nearly managed to get there on Saturday, but only nearly.

Hello smiffster and @sjh2008, not been on for a few days..... The maples and acers are past there best sadly although some beautiful colours still . I cant talk about the old part as I didn't have time in the end. Its definitely on my radar for next year though, and can see why the prices go up at the moment, it was heaving with cars.

Thanks for reporting back. Hour and half away from me so maybe in summer and next autumn. Although the Xmas light up looks good.

@fuzzyfelt30 Nice photos of the xmas lights, i went a couple of years back before you had to book in advance to goto it.

It was busy but an enjoyable night walking around it all

Back