Wet Kingy

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
As I was preparing this to upload I saw all your brill Kingies and was nervous about showing this one .....but what the hell...

This was virtually the only usable shot from a week of waiting/clicking at a local reserve.
Keith (y)
TALKWetKingy_filteredLOW.jpg

Spot on with that one, Keith.

Thanks everyone...

KAZ...looking again he could do with some of the top but how do I just do NR on the b/g....BTW it has already had an all over bit of NR.

Keith (y)

.....he could do with some of the top but how do I just do NR on the b/g....BTW it has already had an all over bit of NR.

Keith (y)

Noise reduction just on the bg is best done after you've reduced the image to web size and before you do any sharpening.

Hold down SHIFT on the keyboard and click on the bg with the magic wand mask tool. Keeping SHIFT held down, keep clicking elsewhere in the bg and you'll see the mask getting larger. Keep going until you have a tight mask around the bird and the stump, with ALL the bg within the mask. Don't feather the mask! You'll soon get the hang of it. If the mask goes over onto the bird just go to edit and undo the last click then lower the tolerance of the magic wand tool and carry on. This is actually a pretty easy image to practice on with this reasonably uncluttered background.

Once you have that tight mask you can run NR just on the bg.

Now invert the mask which means you just have the bird and the stump within the selction, and sharpen them to taste.....

4833963910_380e129d80_o.jpg

You actually have a very strong green/yellow cast on the image which isn't unattractive and you may prefer it, but it's making the breast feathers of this juvenile rather more orangey than they should be. This is with the wb set to daylight at 6500K.

Nice shot under difficult circumstances btw - I'd be happy with it, but try processing it again from scratch as above.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...

KAZ...looking again he could do with some of the top but how do I just do NR on the b/g....BTW it has already had an all over bit of NR.

Keith (y)

Keith I think CT as said everything ,as for the colour for me anyway can vary with how the light was on the day,when the weather is cloudy they always seem a lot bluer in colour but then when you get that evening light the colour changes in them are amazing

Thanks again Kaz and CT.....have read your explaination and printed it off so I can have a go at it.

When I click the WAND with the shift down nowt happens then when I lift off the shift a dotted outline appears but I have no control over it and when I try to enlarge it ,it moves to another section.
Even if I manage to ..................................................................................................................................................................hang on a bit I seem to be doing something wrong ....MASK ????? no idea where to get one of them.
You then say " once you have a tight mask run NR just on the BG" ....I use Noiseware Community Edition ...will it work on that.

I can see I aint gonna manage this..
Thanks
keith :bonk: :bonk:

What software are you dong this in Keith?

I use Paint Sho Pro which has it's own NR filters so I do the whole thing in PSP.

Try holding down Control instead of Shift.

When you get that marching ants dotting line it's properly called a 'marquee', but it's also referred to sometimes as a 'selection' and sometimes as a 'mask' depending on what editor you're using, but they all mean the same thing.

Hang in there - it's a doddle once you get the hang of it. ;)

Thanks CT..

I have p/shop 7

Time for bed now though.
Keith :wave:

Back