What are they buying ?

Name
Tug
Edit My Images
Yes
When selling speculative images to a newspaper, What exactly are they purchasing from you?

For example you cover a footy game, You touched base with the newspaper from the away team and they also want to purchase some images of the game.

What exactly are they buying....The image outright, or is it a single use for the newspaper? or is it that they get to use it as and when they like ? Internet/Newspaper/magazine ?

When selling speculative images to a newspaper, What exactly are they purchasing from you?

For example you cover a footy game, You touched base with the newspaper from the away team and they also want to purchase some images of the game.

What exactly are they buying....The image outright, or is it a single use for the newspaper? or is it that they get to use it as and when they like ? Internet/Newspaper/magazine ?

I expect freelance togs will be vastly different to agency togs, and each freelancer different to the next.

Thanks for the quick reply Gary, So what should a freelance tog be looking towards offering the away teams local paper in way of usage and pricing ?

When selling to any local regional paper I ahve never discussed it... they offer x amount.. i send them the pics... To be honest I couldnt care less.. I get the money and move on.... I dont like the wedding photographer mentality of squeezing every last drop out of a picture for re use and blah blah... I take the money and send them the pics..

OK there will be uproar from some about contracts and what if this and what if that... and to be honest i couldnt give a monkeys.. happy to get paid and leave it at that..

i recently sold some pics to a football club and they actualy asked what they could do wiht them and what restrictions... i told them.. they paid for them.. use them as you want..

again shock horror and I know people are going to tell me off .... but i aint gonna listen to you and shall i tell you why? it works.. I ahve great relationships and repeat work from just about everyone i deal with.. i am happy.. they are happy and all the "should" or "shouldn't" do advice in the world aint gonna make me change whats working :)

Provided they dont resell my images as prints or profit from them in any other way i dont mind what they do with them, thats me as an individual but my agency might be different as theyre strictly their images if im working for them.

Honestly its whatever terms you apply. Agencies will have their terms which I think are mainly single use and these will be in line with whatever the newspapers/magazines will pay. Live images always pay the most but after that they are classed as just stock at a much lower price. In reality a live pic that was once worth (if used and depending on size/colour) say £180 two weeks later may only be worth £25-£30.

Honestly its whatever terms you apply. Agencies will have their terms which I think are mainly single use and these will be in line with whatever the newspapers/magazines will pay. Live images always pay the most but after that they are classed as just stock at a much lower price. In reality a live pic that was once worth (if used and depending on size/colour) say £180 two weeks later may only be worth £25-£30.

But hes talking local papers where there only worth 25-30 on first use ....hence why i dont bother trying to keep track..

But hes talking local papers where there only worth 25-30 on first use ....hence why i dont bother trying to keep track..

Simon didnt say local but I was just quoting generally and to show the difference between live images and non live. Again these will vary depending on the level covered. Sometimes I've struggled to get £10 and often just refused outright to supply.

£25-£30 from local newspapers is about right but proberbly only achieved if rate agreed before hand.

All very interesting ...Thank you all for your comments.

I think it is important to know this kind of information before making the leap into pro sport photography...Especially with the competition from the big agencies and also the other freelance guys in the area.

All very interesting ...Thank you all for your comments.

I think it is important to know this kind of information before making the leap into pro sport photography...Especially with the competition from the big agencies and also the other freelance guys in the area.

Please dont take my answer as the correct way.. my answer is my way ... each have there own way I suppsoe.. I gave you mine and the reasoning behind it.. I am guessing many would not agree wiht it... but i9t was given an an answer not as advice :)

Please dont take my answer as the correct way.. my answer is my way ... each have there own way I suppsoe.. I gave you mine and the reasoning behind it.. I am guessing many would not agree wiht it... but i9t was given an an answer not as advice :)

Tony, Im old enough and ugly enough to read between the lines.... Advice and experience is invaluable...You and other on here have been round the buoy so to speak...I always try to learn from the experience here, so as not to make mistakes...

I always say, 'That to get it wrong is the best way to learn, not the right way, but the best way'....you dont make the same mistake twice.

Well I hope not anyway! ! ! ! :LOL:

Back