What are you using to transfer photos

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
No
I have the Nikon D5600, it comes with an app that automatically sends a compressed photo to mobile phone.

Useful for sharing photos, the snap bridge app crashes more times than i can remember, but easy to recover.

Im lazy, the idear of removing a memory card isnt something i want to do. So right now I have a WD mypassport 8Tb drive with wifi

Plug a Usb lead into the camera then into the drive and it automatically transfers the new photos to the drive into a folder with its date.

While thats going on, i can log into the drives wifi, look at the incoming photos etc.

Also have the WD my cloud NAS and its app will transfer any new photos to the network drive via a cloud, can take a long time when out mobile.

So wondering how other people are transfering photos? I was also wondering if anyone used one of those wifi SD cards that auto transfer.

Or are most people just removing the SD card into a PC card reader.

Was also wondering if there is anything better than the Windows 10 photo album program, to be able to view and sort by date etc

Perhaps have something that automatically transfers new photos when in wifi range like the eyefi cards (SD card with WIFI)

Last edited:
Anything other than using a card reader is slow in comparison (apart from the handful of cameras that have USB3). True laziness is selecting the best method. 'Can't be bothered' is simple idleness.

Last edited:
i used to have wifi sd card and yes it worked, as i walked back in the house it automatically uploaded everything, but i soon found it was far quicker and easier just to pop the card out, pop it in a reader, open the import folder/card, delete the missed/poor pictures direct from the card and then upload/transfer the rest, pop kettle on, cup tea in hand, job is done.

Moving the memory card is much the easiest way as far as I am concerned. The only draw-back is trying to shoot with the camera while the memory card is still in the computer.

USB3 card reader (or cable if your camera supports it) - it's the only way worth bothering with; everything else is far too slow.

Moving the memory card is much the easiest way as far as I am concerned. The only draw-back is trying to shoot with the camera while the memory card is still in the computer.
yeah, I've tried this and the results were very poor, safe to say not a lot of editing required that day. :)

Remove the card, import into lightroom via USB card reader... quickest and easiest by far.

If on holiday, and want to edit a raw file on my phone I’ll use a lightning > SD card reader, and edit in LR mobile.

Nikon or Fuji Wi-fi transfer to phone is fine, if just want to quickly mess with a jpg and share on social...

I remove the card and put it into the reader slot in my computer, or if travelling then use a card reader. I imagine wireless transfer of 30+GB of images after a holiday might take a while by WiFi (it's not over-quick at 70mb sec as is).

Last edited:
Card reader copy to external drive, then import from external drive to LR (cloud version), which puts them (somewhere else) on my hard drive and uploads to the cloud, so I have 3 copies. Handy having the original images copied away for when I accidentally delete stuff in LR, like I did a couple of weeks ago, meant to delete everything I'd flagged as rejected, instead deleted everything I'd flagged except rejected! o_O

I'm fairly lazy but even I do the card reader thing. I'm also fairly impatient so use a USB3 reader. While the idea of easy wireless transfer sort of appeals, having to keep an eye on it in case the signal gets dropped makes it so unappealing as to dismiss it as not for me.

Thanks all, yes my usb connection is usb3 via the WD mypasport method, its very fast, but im not in a rush really, the camera uploads a compressed version of the photo within a few min of taken it, but at a cost of eating the battery. When camera is switched off it will still transfer via bluetooth any new photos, but like i say they are compressed jpeg 500k even though setting says 2000k

So only way to get the uncompresed is with my usb3 and hdd method

Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks all, yes my usb connection is usb3 via the WD mypasport method, its very fast,
But your camera isn’t USB3 - most camera ports claim USB2 but they’re seriously slow in real life.
Wait till you’re downloading thousands and not dozens of images.

On rare occasions where I need something quick - wifi to the ipad or phone is convenient. But generally proper photography means hundreds or thousands of large raw files - and that needs a card reader and USB3, followed by backup to an external drive, and upload to the cloud for offsite backup.

Last edited:
I ‘m wondering if somebody reading this thread with a bit more knowledge than me can help.....I was going to upgrade my iPad with extra memory to do a bit more rating, deleting and a bit of basic editing but found the transfer process a little frustrating. I got the official iPad usb connecting lead but found the results varied when trying to transfer as follows-
1DX-used to just connect to the camera and jpg would show up on photos but now get a message nothing to import, tried removing one of the cards as suggested somewhere, have put card in Kingston usb 3 card reader where it will eventually work but only with power to the USB adapter lead....not sure about raw but assume would work....
5DSR...will connect directly to iPad ok for raw and jpg....if I use a Wifi card via Canon connect it converts the raw files to jpg...
G1X mklll......again via Canon connect converts raw to jpg.....if I connect the camera directly it says something like not enough power as the port is also a charging port..won’t work even with power to the usb lead...

The frustration is where I usually use jpg (1DX) I can no longer transfer images directly via the camera where I previously could and now need the card reader and a power source which isn’t as practical in the middle of nowhere......
Where I use raw more 5DSR and G1X I can’t use a Wi-fi card or the G1X built in Wi-fi and canon connect in the 5DSR unless I want a jpg version or I need the card reader, and a power source for the G1X.....
I believe one of the apple updates restricted the power output through the usb connector? I’ve no idea why the 1DX used to work but now does....
Still experimenting to a degree but wonder if anyone has had similar issues or knows a workaround.....in my humble opinion you should at worst be able to just connect the camera and get your jpg and raw files which I think would be the case with say a surface pro...?
On a slightly different note if I use the Kingston card reader for files from the 5DSR on an iMac I nearly always have a couple of corrupted files....can only get everything correctly via connecting camera and using DPP to import......the card reader has been replaced btw..
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any tips / knowledge would be appreciated......

Last edited:
I can help a little @Canon brook
iPads are designed to be a closed ecosystem, anything and everything apple can do to maintain that integrity they will, I’m not sure how you’re planning to upgrade yours but I didn’t think it was possible.
The ipad is OK for a little lightweight LR work, but frustrating as part of a quality workflow.
When using a card reader - just copy the files to the computer before importing; Youre just moving files and not trying to do anything smart - I’ve never seen a file corrupted this way.

Thanks Phil...by upgrade I was thinking of a new iPad with 256gb storage as I'm limited on the current one...

You are spot on about the "closed" system I just don't understand why things move backwards ie the direct connection of the 1DX no longer working......

I've seen a few members commenting on light editing on iPads....particularly the ones with photoshop subscriptions and lightroom mobile....but I suppose they are editing from cloud storage...

What I wanted was when I'm on the move an easy, simple way to get shots from camera to iPad and sort out the keepers and leave room on the memory cards....like when at the TT for over a week for example....without needing to carry copious amounts of hardware and leads ( I go over on the bike so need room for undies...)....

It's almost as though you need a different approach for each camera.....if apple made cameras ( not phone ones etc) I'd kind of expect this blocking type approach...

Thanks for taking the time to reply....[emoji106]
I can help a little @Canon brook
iPads are designed to be a closed ecosystem, anything and everything apple can do to maintain that integrity they will, I’m not sure how you’re planning to upgrade yours but I didn’t think it was possible.
The ipad is OK for a little lightweight LR work, but frustrating as part of a quality workflow.
When using a card reader - just copy the files to the computer before importing; Youre just moving files and not trying to do anything smart - I’ve never seen a file corrupted this way.

Ok, well let me first say that connecting the usb 3 lead from the my passport drive will automatically start the transfer, and its very fast, i dont take thousands, and do not bother with raw files neither, ive always used uncompresed jpg

Two things here, the camera will transfer compressed jpg files automatically to the phone when im using it, so available to share, most online photo upload servers would drop out with very large files anyway.

Next are the original files, these are very large and are transferd via the ssd drives usb 3 port, not had any issues with this, its fast enough for me, my passport will only take new files, so i dont need to manually select them, a folder is made with the date and time in its name.

Not tried taking card out and transfering, again the my passport has a full size SD card reader, so i could use it.

So no, i dont think i will ever transfer more than 300 pictures but perhaps some video, so looks like im already using the best method, wifi and nfc are also available, tested only. Cant see me using those at all.

Suppose to be (480 Mbit/sec) i didnt tine it, will never time it, it does what it does fast enough for me

I plug the camera through its USB port directly to my Mac. Aperture 3 lets you import the files off the camera. This means you don't have to remove the card from the camera which means you're not stratching the terminals of the card.

Yes, I tend to do things the best way, but always ask advice, the only way to learn, the wifi SD cards seam to be of no use then, it is fiddly taking card out, and the card reader I have should have been replaced years ago :) there is a card reader on the my passport pro wifi, but might as well use the lead if Im using it. Also while its transferring, I can log in to its wifi and take a look, load photos, play around with new photos while it transfers in the background.

It will work on a mac, exFAT ? I reformatted mine to work on my NAS drive, it wouldn't read exFAT so can plug it into NAS if I fancy another way of transferring the files. The mypassport has its own front end, so dont need a computer..

So onwards

Thanks Phil...by upgrade I was thinking of a new iPad with 256gb storage as I'm limited on the current one...

You are spot on about the "closed" system I just don't understand why things move backwards ie the direct connection of the 1DX no longer working......

I've seen a few members commenting on light editing on iPads....particularly the ones with photoshop subscriptions and lightroom mobile....but I suppose they are editing from cloud storage...

What I wanted was when I'm on the move an easy, simple way to get shots from camera to iPad and sort out the keepers and leave room on the memory cards....like when at the TT for over a week for example....without needing to carry copious amounts of hardware and leads ( I go over on the bike so need room for undies...)....

It's almost as though you need a different approach for each camera.....if apple made cameras ( not phone ones etc) I'd kind of expect this blocking type approach...

Thanks for taking the time to reply....[emoji106]
If you’re buying something, your answer was in your original question, buy a Surface type device the power and convenience of a laptop but with the eight of a tablet (ish).
I’ve just ordered a refurb SP4, I have one for work, it’s the nicest device I’ve ever used.

If you’re buying something, your answer was in your original question, buy a Surface type device the power and convenience of a laptop but with the eight of a tablet (ish).
I’ve just ordered a refurb SP4, I have one for work, it’s the nicest device I’ve ever used.

What editing software do you use on it Phil.....I used a surface pro 2-3 years ago on a trip abroad but when I loaded CS6 on it the icons/ fonts were tiny .... think it was something to do with “ upscaling” ....? ended up signing up for a trial version of latest photoshop which worked but at the time I didn’t want to upgrade / subscribe.......

What editing software do you use on it Phil.....I used a surface pro 2-3 years ago on a trip abroad but when I loaded CS6 on it the icons/ fonts were tiny .... think it was something to do with “ upscaling” ....? ended up signing up for a trial version of latest photoshop which worked but at the time I didn’t want to upgrade / subscribe.......
The work one has no editing software, it’s for ‘work’.
But I’m a PS/LR subscriber.

I guess id finished with this post anyway

Back