what can I get that will make holding a heavy camera + lens easier?

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
Yes
I have heard about battery grips though I'll be honest I've not looked into them much...but I know they are there and will consider one. I thought people here may know of other things available. I saw someone once that had a sort of hand wrist support "thing" that attached to the camera, but I can't find one or know what to google.

I have a Canon 400D body with the Canon 24-70mmL and am finding the weight uncomfortable and slighty unsecure when I'm holding it for long periods.

Any ideas welcome.

the hand strap is probably the canon E1 strap. Piles of genuine and third party on ebay. I use them on the 1D and find they're helpful when holding for long periods. not sure how it fixes to the 400D to be honest though.

Beyond that, depending on what you're doing, a monopod might be worth considering.

Muscles!

One of the Optec neck straps currently being sold by TP also seem to help reduce/spread the weight. A battery grip will add to the weight but for some people help the camera balance better

If you keep using it you will get used to it and then, if you get a 100-400 or similar will actually think it is quite light :)

Wack61 beat me to it. I was going to post something similar :D

Wack61 - but...but...I don't want to be a man:shake:

Dod and Dave - I'm going to google that strap now

a battery grip helps handling the heavy lenses but it will add to the overall weight of course, i use one and find it uncomfortable without it!

i use an r-strap and let it hang while not in use, as its very easy to lift and shoot when needed.

I also have a hand strap and while it does help unless you have your camera in our hand 100% of the time you are clamped into it a bit and found i dont use it much.

Wack61 - but...but...I don't want to be a man:shake:

He says he can make you a new man, most women I know would like a new man including my wife :D

I'd say a monopod will be your best option, a strap may help with the grip but it isn't going to make it any lighter

a battery grip helps handling the heavy lenses but it will add to the overall weight of course, i use one and find it uncomfortable without it!

i use an r-strap and let it hang while not in use, as its very easy to lift and shoot when needed.

I also have a hand strap and while it does help unless you have your camera in our hand 100% of the time you are clamped into it a bit and found i dont use it much.

I think I'll be putting one of those r-straps on my christmas list. My regular neckstrap is extremely uncomfortable and those straps look really nice.

I think I'll be putting one of those r-straps on my christmas list. My regular neckstrap is extremely uncomfortable and those straps look really nice.

i cant recommend them enough, with a D300, grip, and a 70-200mm 2.8 i can have it on that strap all day and not feel it in my shoulders, with a optech strap it starts to ache after an hour, the speed of getting it from hip to head is very quick in one action, the camera hangs on the hip and is a nice height to rest you hand on while walking so as to keep it from banging into people walking close to you, its about £40 inc. postage i think so its not a cheap option but if i lost this one i would order another in an instant!

STRONGER ARMS!!!

Sorry about that but I need the posts so I can sell some kit.:shrug:

STRONGER ARMS!!!

be very careful fella or your post count will remain at 0. :nono:

change the lens to a lighter one? if you need the speed use the 50mm f1.4 if you need the range use the 24-105mm f4 IS - you should be able to buy both for near the same cost as the 24-70 f2.8...

I have heard about battery grips though I'll be honest I've not looked into them much...but I know they are there and will consider one. I thought people here may know of other things available. I saw someone once that had a sort of hand wrist support "thing" that attached to the camera, but I can't find one or know what to google.

I have a Canon 400D body with the Canon 24-70mmL and am finding the weight uncomfortable and slighty unsecure when I'm holding it for long periods.

Any ideas welcome.

Hi Stellarbeam

Do you mean when carrying the kit or when actually taking shots? :thinking:

Steve

STRONGER ARMS!!!

I dunno.. stick your kit on ebay or get properly involved in this community? I don't think I'd admit to just posting so you can sell your kit! :wacky:

Any ideas welcome.

Hi,

Maybe try a monopod, this will take the weight completely off you while your shooting but will add a little generally when your on the move.
I use a monopod whenever I have to use say a 70-200mm lens for extended periods.
There are many lightweight monopods availble and they can be very fairly priced too.
It's the usual to buy some kind of head to screw on to the top of the monopod so you can angle your camera up and down, be it a tilt head or a ball head, these can also be bought inexpensivley.

The other option is to find a nice comfy neck strap, like the optech TP ones! and sling your camera over your shoulder like a satchel or handbag, This works tremendously well for me with say a 24-70 when I'm walking about, be it on assignment or taking snaps on my hols.

Hope this helps

T.

I quite like the look of that R-strap myself, i would just be worried how secure it is with all the weight of a D300 battery grip and zoom lens on just one clip, perhaps cannockwolf can confirm on this.

The obvious choice for taking the weight while shooting is a monopod BUT then you may have to carry that in your other hand while not in use unless carried over your shoulder with camera attached, but it will certainly steady your camera, and is also a good deterrent to muggers or chancers particularly with a nice big ball head attached :D

Another vote for the monopod here.

I like the idea of the R strap, just not sure how it would fare trying to walk through a crowded public area.

Also how secure is it if someone makes a grab for it?

I like te idea of theR strap, just not sure how it would fare trying to walk through a crowded public area.

Also how secure is it if someone makes a grab for it?

Good point, with a fairly crowded area the camera goes bag in my backpack to be safe, saying that though oo'er this side of the pond your much less likely to have a dirty tea leaf swipe your gear.
It's taken a lot of getting used to and I am still highly cautious but the chances of being robbed are so much smaller than home.
T.

the r-strap no comes with a carrabena [sp?] type screw clip, and is a strong as any normal camera strap, i used it with D300, grip and 70-200mm and it has no weight issues with it at all, its very well made, it hangs by your hip lens pointing downwards (not straight down though) i walk with my hand resting on it, if i walk into a crowd i can just maneuverer the camera away from harm, plus its quite inconspicuous down by your hip and people dont notice it much,

Good point, with a fairly crowded area the camera goes bag in my backpack to be safe, saying that though oo'er this side of the pond your much less likely to have a dirty tea leaf swipe your gear.
It's taken a lot of getting used to and I am still highly cautious but the chances of being robbed are so much smaller than home.
T.

It's not so much putting it in my back pack, but around my neck people are less likely to bang into it or try to grab it.

On my hip I would be concerned about the lens hoods and grabbers.

It's not so much ptting it in my back pack, but arounf my neck people are less likely to bang into it or try to grab it.

On my hip I would be concerned about the lens hoods and grabbers.

I haven't had any problems but I agree that in densely populated places the lens hood is in danger of being bashed off or broken, however it's not the kind of method I use when in those circumstances, not all areas are teeming with people and there have been countless occasions where I do just sling the strap over my shoulder and it's completely safe to do so. It takes the weight off the right places and if needs be you can also grab hold of the camera like so: ('Scuse the ugly chubby begger).
DSC_1381.jpg

Hi Stellarbeam

Do you mean when carrying the kit or when actually taking shots? :thinking:

Steve

When I'm taking shots and also I'd been carrying the camera by wrapping the neck strap round my wrist hand to that my fingers didn't have to grip so firm but the strap would slip now and again. I have very tiny wrists and the aching was making my hand shake a bit when taking photos which obv isn't so good.

I'm mostly shoting at live music gigs and I feel if I had some sort of hand strap thingy then it would stop me gripping so firm and take bit of the strain off.

Oh, and there is no way I'm getting rid of the lens. No way in million, zillion years:LOL:

When I'm taking shots and also I'd been carrying the camera by wrapping the neck strap round my wrist hand to that my fingers didn't have to grip so firm but the strap would slip now and again. I have very tiny wrists and the aching was making my hand shake a bit when taking photos which obv isn't so good.

I'm mostly shoting at live music gigs and I feel if I had some sort of hand strap thingy then it would stop me gripping so firm and take bit of the strain off.

Oh, and there is no way I'm getting rid of the lens. No way in million, zillion years:LOL:

Hi again Stellarbeam

I use one of these and find it an excellent piece of kit (y) Good for carrrying camera + lens around as it has a natural handle, it be used as a chest support which really helps to reduce camera shake and can be bought for about £50 :D

HTH
Steve

Back