What Car is it?

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
Time for another little competition!
No prizes, just the bragging rights that you got it right, (if you do)
This weeks walk was in Lancashire (I'm sure someone will know the location, but I'm not saying yet)
The car is under a cover (obviously) so you will have to guess by going off the general shape, there is a tantalizing little corner showing the N/S front wing & colour.

I know what it is, again obviously, because I peeped!

Guess The Mystery Car! by Barry Smith, on Flickr

Good Luck!

Triumph Spitfire mk4 or 1500, don't think there's enough of a shape difference between the two to tell with the cover on.

Marcos or Daimler Dart

Last edited:
I'd say TR6 too.
I used to have a TR6 and the back end doesn't look right. Unless a curve-ball has been thrown and the boot lid is missing. The '6 also has a much flatter front.

Could be a Dart as Allen says, front-end looks right - but so would a lot of the Triumphs with US bumpers. It's the back-end that's bugging me, but it's at least 4" low with the flat tyres and if the suspension is sagging as well...

I'll stick with a mk.3 or 1500 as my guess.

I wondered if it's an early TVR but the wire wheels put me off that idea. Pretty sure it's not a Dart (so that means it probably is!). Spitfire's a good shout.

Going by the headlamp bezel I would say Late Spitfire.

Triumph Spitfire?
Triumph Spitfire mk4 or 1500, don't think there's enough of a shape difference between the two to tell with the cover on.
Going by the headlamp bezel I would say Late Spitfire.

OK, Impressive!
It's a Spitfire 4 1964 Mk1 with wire wheels! So first right guess is @andy0306, well done!
It has had some alterations over the years, so probably all the Spitfire guesses are spot on!
Alastair, the boot lid is off the car, also one of the rear springs is off! so well diagnosed!

t's a Spitfire 4 1964 Mk1 with wire wheels! So first right guess is @andy0306, well done!
Californian LHD import by any chance? - that lump under the cover where the bumpers are looks like one of their monstrous safety bumpers.

I didn't look if it was LHD, so yes, could be.
The always looked a little out of place.
Didn't the original Spitfire have quarter bumpers with overriders?

Is it this ?

15798261.jpg

Didn't the original Spitfire have quarter bumpers with overriders?
Yes, but for fugly out-size overriders you need the US spec!

Ha, remember a 6' 4 friend with a Spitfire in the 1980s. When I see them now (rarely) I can't believe he had it. Genuinely the soft top roof had a hump where his head was

Ha, remember a 6' 4 friend with a Spitfire in the 1980s. When I see them now (rarely) I can't believe he had it. Genuinely the soft top roof had a hump where his head was
I drove the TR6 up to Wells-next-the-Sea one evening and pulled up at the same time an E-type did. Whilst I (6'2") just opened the door and stepped out (roof down) the wife in the passenger seat of the (fixed head) E-type gave her husband the evil "why didn't you get one with a roof like that?" look as she limboed out from the car whilst trying to maintain a modicum of decency..

They don't teach the elegant way of getting out of a fixed head classic sports car any more!

I drove the TR6 up to Wells-next-the-Sea one evening and pulled up at the same time an E-type did. Whilst I (6'2") just opened the door and stepped out (roof down) the wife in the passenger seat of the (fixed head) E-type gave her husband the evil "why didn't you get one with a roof like that?" look as she limboed out from the car whilst trying to maintain a modicum of decency..

They don't teach the elegant way of getting out of a fixed head classic sports car any more!

I always remember one of the teachers at Secondary Mod School, he was well over 6 foot, he had a Bond 3 Wheeler (Minicar) 1950s vintage.
It was actually made by Sharps Commercials. he used to open the bonnet, stick his leg inside and kickstart the 2 stroke Villiers into action.
The funniest part was watching him 'back' into the driving seat by almost folding himself in half!
Still do not know how he did it to this day!

OH, almost forgot, the 'Mystery Car' is in Burton in Kendal near Carnforth.

Triumph Spitfire

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 20
Just a tad late Craig! :D

I double checked the post as well and didn't see the answer hahahaha, love forums they never make sence :) going back for a lie down !

The funniest part was watching him 'back' into the driving seat by almost folding himself in half!
Still do not know how he did it to this day!
There's a knack to it.. it's the only way I can get into the back seat of a small 3-door car. Even when a small car has decent rear legroom they always seem to make rear seat access of 3 door models a little tight.

You should see me (6'1" and 18 1/2 stone!) folding myself into the back seats of Mrs Nod's XK8... NOT somewhere I'd want to go more than 2 or 3 miles in but it IS possible. Mrs Nod can get in there relatively easily but she is a Yoga teacher. Luckily, I'm now allowed to drive so on the rare occasions we do need to get 3 in it, she does the rear seat thing while I drive and the MiL sits in the front. For a real laugh though, watch me trying to get out of a Lotus Elise with the roof up. I have to fall out sideways then pick myself up off the ground. Shame really, would be a nice toy!

OK, Impressive!
It's a Spitfire 4 1964 Mk1 with wire wheels! So first right guess is @andy0306, well done!

I won something :D, time to get a lottery ticket me thinks.

I did wonder if it was a US import, the front end does look like their stupid bumpers (fenders?) are on it.

We had a Spitfire MkIII for a bit pre-children, and drove between London and Brighton with my wife sat on the parcel shelf behind the seats so that a friend could come along. Now that was a bit of folding and a large measure of endurance.

We had a Spitfire MkIII for a bit pre-children, and drove between London and Brighton with my wife sat on the parcel shelf behind the seats so that a friend could come along. Now that was a bit of folding and a large measure of endurance.

You mean you didn't strap her to the little luggage rack on the boot? !!!!!!!! ;)

You mean you didn't strap her to the little luggage rack on the boot? !!!!!!!! ;)

Only because it didn't have one! :eek:

Worse than that, we drove back from a wedding late one night with someone sat on the boot with their feet on the parcel shelf - completely stupid and dangerous in retrospect, but we were young and such considerations were far from our minds then.

Many (MANY!) years ago, Mum had a Frogeye Sprite which had a section of the rear deck cut out and refinished to make access to the boot easier possible. It also allowed two kids to sit on the rear axle hump in near comfort! Loved that car when it made its way to me several years later and would buy it back for 10x what I sold it for when it had to go.

Many (MANY!) years ago, Mum had a Frogeye Sprite which had a section of the rear OF THE CAR cut out and refinished to make access to A BOOT.

FTFY! :)

Back