What determines a good portrait

Edit My Images
Yes
I am no expert and to be honest most things look good to me.

But what determines a good portrait?

thanks

sam

Serious answer....I really don't know. The crying miner shot here is sublime for so many reasons (sorry can't find the link to it). Portraits either work for me or they don't, its a fizzy iffy feeling which is hard to describe. I don't care much for rules, so over exposure, flailing arms and elbows, chopping bits off etc all sit well with me if the reaction each time I look at it is a good one...
G.

Personally? One which sells :)

:LOL:

Other than money - it depends on your POV

To photographers it may be the lighting, spark in the eye, expression, PP any number of things

To the sitter it may simply be that they look better than they thought they would

To the sitter's family & friends it might be that the slightest hint of a smile/frown/whatever perfectly captures their view of that person's character; even if it's not the sitter's view or even a 'nice' (to us) photograph

I often found the 'best' by miles IMO kid's portraits were not the ones their parents bought :crying:

HTH :shrug:

DD

I often found the 'best' by miles IMO kid's portraits were not the ones their parents bought

Can relate to that. It bugs the hell out of me when the first pic the parents bin is the one I think is the best one I have taken for ages, yet they love the one I included just because the wife said to as it looked cute!!

I guess that's the same question as 'what makes a good landscape'. And the answer is 'it depends'. For me its often whether there's a 'connection' with the model, may be its eye contact, but doesn't have to be looking directly at the camera. Sometimes its the lighting, perhaps a 'story' in the image. I think its easier to list what doesn't make a good portrait.

With kids it is all about capturing that special look or mannerism that they have. There is nothing better than hearing parents during a viewing session say "Look that is typical him" they sell every time.

Family portraits I try to convey warm loving images, which are fun but intimate. With newborn shoots for me it is all about recording that proud look on the parents faces.

At the end of the day we all have different tastes and we need to give the client what they like be it over exposed or correctly lit.

Can relate to that. It bugs the hell out of me when the first pic the parents bin is the one I think is the best one I have taken for ages, yet they love the one I included just because the wife said to as it looked cute!!

Only starting out but I've experienced this already! Can we have a framed print of the one that you put in as an afterthought please? That perfectly sharp, beautifully lit portrait, no thanks :D

For me so many different things can make a great portrait. Nice sharp eyes, good subject separation, telling a story, eliciting smile or other emotional response. In saying that many of the best portraits I've seen have none of these things. It's a mystery :thinking:

I know EG has already stated his dislike of rules. A view doubtless echoed and reinforced by many of the pro photographers on here. But what of the rest of us with no natural artistry or flair, just trying to get a nice family portrait of the kids to post to Grandma? Many years ago I read a post on a different forum by a user called Benji of Sonshine Studios. He calls it The Rules Of Good Portraiture. He doesn't claim the rules entirely to be his own but gives credit to master photographer Don Peterson for his contribution to his 35 Rules. I haven't posted the link to the forum containing the original thread (google is your friend) as I am unsure if that would be a breach of TP rules(note to self :rules:). Besides you need to make yourself a member to see his picture examples. The article applies to whatever camera you own regardless of cost and concentrates on the not chopping limbs, correct head position side of things. My personal opinion is it is a good starting point if you're learning and even the pro's must know these rules to be able to break them deliberately. Accidentally breaking them makes them no better than I so must therefore be fluking it, which wouldn't keep them in business long.

For me technically its lighting, exposure and background separation.
Aesthetically its capturing a moment in time, that can be either beautiful or ugly, serious or funny.

It's hard to define what I like in words but I know it when I see it

Back