What do I need??

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
Ok my Uncle is an artist in his spare time. He was some photos done of his work for portfolio and also to sell prints online so they have to be good. I have an sb-800. I was thinking I would need a stand, soft box and trigger? Bare in mind I dont know any thing about off camera flash :)Below is the area ill be working in although it could be done somewhere else, and one of the paintings.

An example of painting
YorkshireTrip101.jpg

A rough end result
YorkshireTrip100.jpg

Area to work in
YorkshireTrip110.jpg

YorkshireTrip111.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

The minimum requirement for this is two flash heads, one each side of the subject at an angle of about 45 deg (the one on the right illuminates the left side of the painting and vice versa)
If the surface is flat then you can light with two softboxes, if it's textured e.g. in oils then you'll want to show the brush strokes etc and will probably want a harder light source.

The main thing here is that the lighting needs to be absolutely even.

The minimum requirement for this is two flash heads, one each side of the subject at an angle of about 45 deg (the one on the right illuminates the left side of the painting and vice versa)
If the surface is flat then you can light with two softboxes, if it's textured e.g. in oils then you'll want to show the brush strokes etc and will probably want a harder light source.

The main thing here is that the lighting needs to be absolutely even.

Yes its textured so reflective umbrellas then?

Yes its textured so reflective umbrellas then?
Well, if you're using hotshoe flashes then reflective umbrellas are probably your only option, you could try the flashguns 'as is' but because hotshoe flash reflectors tend to be over 'efficient' the light may be too hard and may be uneven. With studio flash heads you'd use background reflectors or standard reflectors.
It's really a case of try it and see.

Well, if you're using hotshoe flashes then reflective umbrellas are probably your only option, you could try the flashguns 'as is' but because hotshoe flash reflectors tend to be over 'efficient' the light may be too hard and may be uneven. With studio flash heads you'd use background reflectors or standard reflectors.
It's really a case of try it and see.

Problem is he live 5 hours away so I must get it right before I go.

Back