What do people think of this harddrive

From my experience Seagate have always been good drives seems like a good product but don't have personal experience of that specific seagate model

Seagate are OK, I've used plenty of them in the past without feeling there was anything either good or bad about them. I know it sounds pretty pessimistic, but as far as hard drives go, always assume it's going to peg out in the very near future. Honestly I'm usually quite optimistic about life in general, just not with hard drives :)

I've got a couple of LaCies which have been fine too, I was surprised that you thought they were bad?

I only use mine for data backup and they're switched off totally apart from when they're actually in use. I couldn't see much point in having them spinning away all the time for nothing. I would suggest you buy two though, one for immediate use when you want it, and one off-site, and rotate them weekly. I know it doubles the cost, but the chances of two going bad at once are fairly remote. And provided they're not in the same location it's not a total disaster if you get one nicked either.

cheers

I've never heard anything bad about LaCie either, all of the ones I've used have been reliable, hence I've stuck with them.

I've never heard anything bad about LaCie either, all of the ones I've used have been reliable, hence I've stuck with them.

I've had two portable Lacie external hard drives die. One was replaced under warranty and its replacement failed shortly after the warranty was up. In the end I got a Icybox enclosure and gutted the Lacie. Turns out it was the sata to USB controller dongle that had failed.

My La Cie died too, a complete waste of money. I use Western Digital and Toshiba now, without any problems.

Inside my LaCie lurked a Hitachi drive. I think the weakness of any of these external drives is the drive to USB interface and if you ever get a drive fail its work sticking it in an enclosure of some sort and seeing if its the drive that has borked or the controller. At least you stand a chance of recovering your data.

Back