What do you know about scanning negatives ?

I didn't get the V700 for 35mm though, I recently acquired a TLR and look forward to getting my first roll of 120 developed and then see how the scanner performs.

I look forward to seeing them;)
I think you can get away with dodgy scans on b/w, except for any sharpness issues, its the slides they don't do justice to.

In regards to SCSI - I can help there.

Thanks Matt, to cut a long and torteous story short, thats exactly where I'm with it, I need a card, found one on ebay, PCworld/Maplins dont stock scsi cards anymore, they just want to sell you ink cartridges at disgracefull prices, the spotty herbert I asked didn't even know what an scsi card was:shake:
I'll only have one scsi device in this daisy chain, do I need to terminate it, there won't be an id issue.
Also....the cable thats obviously been used before is a 25 pin sub D or something at both ends, theres a 25 pin socket on the back of the scanner, but the card may have a 50 pin sub D socket, if thats the case....err...:bonk: adapter ???

jebus what utter crap this retro socket rubbish is...usb:love:

I look forward to seeing them;)
I think you can get away with dodgy scans on b/w, except for any sharpness issues, its the slides they don't do justice to.

That's something you reminded me off, I also need to finish my first roll of slides and see how they scan.

I'll only have one scsi device in this daisy chain, do I need to terminate it, there won't be an id issue.
Also....the cable thats obviously been used before is a 25 pin sub D or something at both ends, theres a 25 pin socket on the back of the scanner, but the card may have a 50 pin sub D socket, if thats the case....err...:bonk: adapter ???

jebus what utter crap this retro socket rubbish is...usb:love:

I'm pretty sure that you still needed to terminate it to tell the SCSI Bus that it had reached the end. The SCSI card itself has the ID of 7 (usually) so the card and the scanner will be two ID's. (I think - its been a while since I've done much with SCSI other than tell Dell what I want in the new boxes).

I'm pretty sure you can get a cable with 50pin on the one end and 25 pin on the other. See what you get first and see if it works without termination.

ah, I checked what card was originally shipped with this scanner, adaptec AHA-2940AU, got one from ebay and I thought I was laughing, the photo of the card appeared to show a socket pretty close to a 25 pin....I was wrong, its similar in length but I'm guessing its a 50 pin high density socket.
I'm loath to fit this card until I know theres an adapter.

11gpt9y.jpg

right, anyone know where I can get a HD50 male to DB25 female adapter or lead ?
CCL = nopers
Maplins = nopers
Non on Ebay except in the states
I just wanna go buy one from a shop, and not mess about with credit cards online or over the phone, postage faffery.

may Gods love rain down on you like snow on a misty mountain side...:)

Thanks man, but thats not it, its not a centronics socket, its a High Density 50 pin to DB25.
It doesn't help when the photos they produce are clearly incorrect, the photo for that lead shows 2 hd50 plugs, theres no db25 or centronics 50 which is what they describe the lead as.

its a mare..:shake:

Joxby

Don't know if you're still looking but try this. looks like it might be what you are after.

http://www.blackbox.co.uk/solutions...=1&doc=fa491&tx=Cable Products&sx=SCSI Cables

I've use BB in the past and they are very helpful , even when you don't know what you're really after. Had to make some weird SCSI connections in the past and these guys helped.

Credit Card over the phone. Arrives next day if it's in stock

Good luck

Thanks Chappers, I got one from the US in the end.
I spent most of last night installing re-installing un-installing re-booting downloading drivers for this, drivers for that, winding back drivers, software, misc crappery.
There were a few bangs, a few blue screeners and a cable fatality, but around midnight I scanned my first neg with it.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

thanks for your help man(y)

Thinking seriously about digging out the OM's and investing in a good old Paterson developing tank and a fridge full of Pan F.

Has anyone had experience of scanning negs with a v200 ? I'm only interested in quality, I don't care about the time it takes.

Thinking seriously about digging out the OM's and investing in a good old Paterson developing tank and a fridge full of Pan F.

Has anyone had experience of scanning negs with a v200 ? I'm only interested in quality, I don't care about the time it takes.

No experience with the V200, but have just got a V500 (first attempt at scanning negs) although I can't see it being too different in terms of quality. Very easy to use and great quality....(Fuji Neopan 400)...

b+w1.jpg

b+w2.jpg

Another vote for Vuescan, i used it very successfully with my Nikon coolscan 3

Is there any market (sale) for these types of scanners now?

Dave

Don't you just love Fuji blacks...

There is a thriving market for scanners, especially dedicated scanners capable of scanning M/F...

Back