what do you think of Mario Testino's Prince George photo (released 21st July)?

em3

Edit My Images
Yes
It's clearly a great moment to capture but I was surprised that it didn't look quite sharp on the BBC website. Maybe it's just very low res?

I think lack of sharpness and deliberate blur (not bokeh) and noise is getting more common in editorial fashion photography and it's got me wondering about the portrait market. I'm a relative new pro and I throw anything out that isn't sharp or is too noisy.

I'd be very interested in what other people think of this and of sharpness in general in portraits.

Didn't like it overmuch. If I'd taken that I might not have kept it. But then I don't get paid!

I've had a look at a hi-res version (>4000px) and it's definitely unsharp.

It's a nice captured moment, but I guess if you're Testino then you can get away with calling it 'creatively unsharp'.

I can't really find a decent version of it to have a good look, and the various news sources are no doubt using low res copies. If I were in nit-picking/critique mode I'd have highlighted a few other "issues" before I hit on it's sharpness though. As it is, it's fine. A happy smiling baby being held by his father. It does the job.

40 quid camera from argos... tell him to take it back :)

To be fair, it is one shot from a series of images captured after Princess Charlotte's baptism and was probably selected by the parents and/or Kensington Palace Press Office.

The rest of the shoot could well've been absolutely knock-yer-socks-off stunning.

Back