What do you think?

Name
Adam Tranter
Edit My Images
No
I took this with my Canon D60 and EF 75-300mm USM lens (not ideal) - I've only been taking photos proprely for about 3 weeks now, and was pretty please. I'd be interested on a more professional view on it though.

bug.jpg

Thanks,

Hi, for 3 weeks in you're doing great but here's what I would change.

A lot of detail has been lost in the shadows, a common problem with insects in bright sunlight. A light layer of cloud is ideal for natural light shots, or a drop of fill flash (shoot in M mode, set the exposure normally and let the flash fire in auto mode and it will bring out the shadows nicely).

Shooting in raw would also help here (dunno if you did or not) as you can process the file to get something back in the shadow areas, generally if in doubt I'll over-expose slightly as my preference is for blown highlights over black shadows.

Finally, I think a different angle would have worked better - either showing the side or the back and portrait framing would help as well. A good tip for shooting animals/insects is to leave some space in the frame in the direction the subject is facing, in your shot there's lots of space to the right making the dragon look squashed over on one side.

But you're off to a good start, half the battle with bugs is getting close enough to get the shot in the first place ;)

It certainly is a good start Adam ... to even get that close to a Dragon Fly is difficult at the best of times ... but to succeed in a shot like that after so few weeks is a credible beginning ... (y)

It bodes well for your future photography if you keep at it ... :p

Pxl8 has some good tips there ... so that should see you with enough to be going on with ... :D

Thanks for the advice, I did actually take a few more angles as it was quite a still insect!

bug1.jpg

The D60 is actually a digital.

What lenses would you recommend for shooting close-ups?

So it is, my appologies! :)

Re: Lens, depends on how much you want to pay. If you already have the niffty fifty then a set of extension tubes can be had for about £50 I think.

I prefer the second shot, really like the detail on the wings which got lost in the first.

Back