What documents to help plan a documentary?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

In the process of planning a documentary.

So far I've got a document with a basic outline of projected deadline I want to get things done by. I've also got some storyboards and a document with my interview questions.

Is there anything else which can help me in the process of planning a documentary? (first time doing a project of this scale).

Thanks

I might be able to give you some advice re shooting scripts, shot lists, research interviews, etc. But there's probably too many things to discuss here. PM me and I'll give you my Skype details. And maybe we can chat for 20-30 mins one evening (GMT).

I might be able to give you some advice re shooting scripts, shot lists, research interviews, etc. But there's probably too many things to discuss here. PM me and I'll give you my Skype details. And maybe we can chat for 20-30 mins one evening (GMT).

Awesome, that'd be a great help thank you. I'll PM you.

A lot of the cock ups you see are to do with organisation rather than filming. Make sure you've got all the bus timetables, parking permits etc.

Also, a list of non-primary shots, e.g. cutaways, atmos track is always useful.

Planning, planning, planning! You need to do your research or you will end up with something flat and boring to watch. I highly recommend reading "Directing the Documentary" by Michael Rabinger.

Most important document apart from permissions & releases is your script.

A lot of the cock ups you see are to do with organisation rather than filming. Make sure you've got all the bus timetables, parking permits etc.

Also, a list of non-primary shots, e.g. cutaways, atmos track is always useful.

Thanks! (y)

Planning, planning, planning! You need to do your research or you will end up with something flat and boring to watch. I highly recommend reading "Directing the Documentary" by Michael Rabinger.

Most important document apart from permissions & releases is your script.

Cheers, will keep that book in mind.

What field is the documentary about ?

Mountain biking, in particular trail builders.

1. Appearance Release
  2. Location Release
  3. Filming Permits
  4. Risk Assessments
  5. Scripts
  6. Shot Lists
  7. Call Sheets
  8. Logging sheets

Probably quite a few more that I've forgotten.

Back