What drive for backing up images ?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for an external drive to backup my images, save RAW files etc. Any recommendations please ? I'd like something fairly robust, with a reasonably large memory, and I use a Mac.

I use a Seagate terrabyte.
Not sure if it works with a Mac, but it probably does.

Maybe worth bearing in mind that if you get one with an external power supply (like mine) you don't have to load it at startup like it would if powered through a USB port.

Hi Patrick I'm just about to move to an iMac so have been looking around for the same thing. After reading many reviews from many different websites I have decided to get a WD My Book Studio 1TB when they become more available in the UK ( mid November)

wdfMB_Studio.jpg

On my Mac I use a Lacie Quadra 1TB, it has USB2, Firewire 400 and 800, it also integrates with Time Machine very easily. £125 on Amazon.

Firewire drives are nice and they are serial so you can daisy change several together, however Apple seems to be neglecting FW in favour of other technologies and I think the latest MacBooks only have USB connections

So any external drive that is USB compatible will work. Most however come formatted for PC. Don't worry macs Disk Utility will set it up for Mac HFS format. Or Go for the LaCie model which automatically detects the type of computer and formats the drive for you.

Another vote for LaCie drives here. Which drive depends on if you want to leave it connected all the time, or if you want a network drive. If you're iMac has got an FW800 port I'd go for a drive that supports that protocol.

Back