What equipment would you need to do this?

Edit My Images
No
I've been into photography for a number of years now but only on a hobby level. I own a canon 400D with a very basic set of lenses. A friend of mine who builds websites is thinking of extending his services to offer the ability to take photos for the websites. So photos of products, people, work places etc. Hes asked me if I have any knowledge of what is needed to offer this service. I've not really done anything along this line of work within photography so cant really help so thought I'd try here.

If you were to setup offering a service like this what sort of equipment would you need as a very basic? I'm guessing for products youd need a studio lighting setup, possibly macro lens etc? A wide angle lens for interiors, people?

Any help on this would be graetly appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Product photography usually use a light table or light tent with either studio or flash depending on size. Macro comes into it's own with things like jewellery.

Interiors are a whole different kettle of fish and can be anything from a simple, available light shot right through to multiple flash units with generators, all depends on the scale. Wide angle or stitched shots can come into it, again, depends on scale.

People are actually one of the easiest but even then good corporate stuff will normally use lighting of one form or another. Traditionally one or two heads with softboxes and more contemporary style using multiple flashes, sometimes on location. It can be done with available light and a reflector but you need to know what to use and when.

Hope that helps :)

I hate to say this, but it sounds as though your friend's sites may not be the most expensive of web-presences, so I would see what can be done with your current gear and get an idea of what his clients want for their money. Then you can line up, say, half a dozen jobs (paid in advance) to pay for a wide angle or whatever you need.

Good luck, and remember that most clients have different ideas to us as to what constitutes a good shot.

Back