What first lens?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, at weekend i decided to buy myself a 400D & 17-55 kit lens. Really enjoying snapping away (poor, poor shot at the moment though ) and have already found myself wanting a new lens. Now i'm hoping to get to a few motor racing events, horseracing meets etc so was thinking along the lines of the Canon 70-200 F4L. Now my question is, will this have enough reach for such events and also how much of an improvement am i looking at with the F2.8 version (non IS)? Am i likely to find myself wanting the extra couple of stops for lower light conditions straight away or is the F4 going to cope fine?

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations for a similar lens or better suited lens i would appreciate the advice.

p.s The 70-200 F4L i have found for £330 and the 2.8L for £629. Is it really that much better?

I went for a Sigma F2.8 so I could in the future use it with either a 1.4 or 2x TC without losing to much of the aperture advantage.

p.s The 70-200 F4L i have found for £330 and the 2.8L for £629. Is it really that much better?

If you've found the 2.8 for that price I'll order one right now! I'm assuming it's the IS version?

Edit: Sorry, ignore me! I've actually read your original post now!

The 70-200 family are a series I've been looking at to add a longer lens onto my kit, I'd go for the 2.8 due to the fact that you're looking at non-IS lenses and if you're in low light you'll need it. Also, as Mr. Grubby said, you'll be able to add TCs without losing too much.

Back