What fly is this anyone?

Edit My Images
Yes
Just out walking my dog today, couldnt find anything!

Except this tiiinyy lil fly I manage to grap a quick snap shot of, not a good quality picture by far, but I want to do more insects during the summer and would like to start knowing more names of what I am actually taking.

Fly was approx 2-3mm

Didnt have my extension tubes with my but the first picture is the fly at 1:1 and the second obviously cropped in.

lol
fly_1.jpg

fly.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a st marks fly.........

Robbo, i recently bought the DK pocket nature book of insects and spiders. I had the same problem not knowing what i had photographed :) It's an excellent guide . £7.99 at WH Smith ;)

Robbo, i recently bought the DK pocket nature book of insects and spiders. I had the same problem not knowing what i had photographed :) It's an excellent guide . £7.99 at WH Smith ;)

ahhh thanks for that :)

so does the book have my fly in? :LOL:

looks like a non biting midge to me, not much else around at the moment is there apart from springtails of course

Robbo I use this book a lot, it may not get you to a species but will help you get the the family hopefully.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Complete-British-Insects-Michael/dp/0007179669/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266085767&sr=8-5

Cheers.

Yes I know there is nothing :-(

only had my camera since Oct last yea so not had chance to do many insects etc although I wouldnt mind building a collection.

Alriight then, here's a challange for your book, any idea what this is:

4189784066_5a3cde4da6.jpg

Taken last summer.

So, it's a Snipe Fly then? :LOL: There was me thinking it was something special and turns to have more varieties than Heinz!

Ah but it is stitched with the finest of gold thread so it is a bit special ;)

Back