What goes on inside a compact camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

I have mentioned before on here that I am about to start teaching a night class the basics of photograhy.

I will showing them how altering shutter and aperture (amongst other things) can be used to achieve certain creative effects.

In order to do this I will be explaining to them what physical processes take place inside a camera when you press the shutter button.

I know how an SLR works when you take a pic but could somebody explain how a compact camera goes about its business?

Cheers,

subseasniper

From what I was told on a p&s type camera shutter speed aperture etc are preset for whatever you turn the picture type to as in sport, portrait, night, landscape etc the same as it is preset on a dslr for the auto modes except that you can choose from the sub menu (if there is one) to refine the type of image a bit more. Basically the camera works the same as for the dslr, except that there are no full manual, aperture/shutter speed type options. Some allow you to set the wb but thats about it on most of them.

I take no responsibility if this is wrong - its just what I was told!

Obviously there isn't a mirror but is there a curtain as in DSLR's? I'm guessing not as compacts will flash sync at all shutter speeds, won't they?

Matty,,

Thanks for the link. I acutally found this page earlier today when googling for the answer to my question but this doesn't really hit the spot.

What I am looking for is a description or diagram of the actual mechanical process that takes place when you use a compact, be it film or digital.

Hopefully after all this heartache somebody will actually be able to answer this for me.

Thank you digitalmaniac,

I am glad its not just me who has noticed the attitude that creeps into some of these posts. We are all here to learn and in my opinion there is no such thing as a dumb question.

There are a lot of people out there with a willingness to pick up cameras but they are too scared and dont know where to start out on their journey. I would think this site is the first port of call for a lot of them and everyone on here, whether its a total beginner or a seasoned pro deserves respect.

First I'd like to say that I think its great you volunteering to pass on your knowledge for free. If only there were more people like you willing to give up their free time to teach a great activity.

When I was at uni (not that long ago, about 18mths ago) the lecturers often got information from students which they did not know them selves so no one should have ago at you because you asked a simple question. It's like Lewis Hamliton asking how does a car work.

Good luck with your class

Back