what inspires you?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from the bored rigid thread ....

What and who, on this wonderful TP site, inspires you to carry on with new ideas? Leaping & bounding with inspiration?

There are people on here who's work I really enjoy, @swag72 's astro work, although living in NW England there is no point even trying with astro, @Neil Burnell 's work is excellent but again not something I actively try myself. @TheAndyA 's woodland photos are probably the nearest to anything I would attempt shoot myself but TBH I am more inspired by people like Nadav Kander, Gregory Crewdson and some of Jem Southam's work

This won't be the sort of answer you're expecting, and for reasons that will become obvious, no names will be given.

There are some people whose work I see that I do, in general, admire. There are others whose work I admire, but with reservations about the tonal range they achieve. These I admire, but they don't inspire me to carry on with new work.

The ones that do actually do that are those whose work is technically accomplished but artistically sterile. They do inspire me to go out and find a different way of seeing the familiar. And hence, no names. OK, I'll name just one in the first category of those I admire: @Kevin Allan.

Dave (@Ed Sutton) has been a big inspiration to me with his various interesting projects that are tackled with a lot of care. Similarly Chris (@sirch) and his Tin Can Selfies which shows an imagination that I wish I could emulate. Simon's (@juggler) portraits are exceptional and the connection with his subjects often comes through in his work which (in my opinion) elevates it. My friend Iain (TP account lapsed) is a tireless street photographer working the town of... Sandbach... showing that you don't need a major city to do good street photography or find interesting people (Flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ammgramm/).

Nige (@FishyFish) continually turns out high quality interesting images and just taking a wander through his Flickr feed is a great source of inspiration to me. Same for Iain (@blakester) whose Flickr feed isn't all about strangers. Needs some new images on there Iain :)

Finally, as far as TP goes, @Andysnap is an inspiration, not just as a photographer, but as a jolly nice human being who told me about this place back in... what was it... 2010? Living proof that artistry can be down to earth and not "airy fairy" or "arty farty".

Inspiration? In the realm of imaging? Well I hardly come here for that - to me it's more of a discussion place.

But there are several stalwarts here, and we don't necessarily even see their pictures, who are hotshots (populist term) in some realm of technique - that most of us can learn from.

That's one of the strengths of these forums - information. But for inspiration, mostly, look elsewhere.

Dave (@Ed Sutton) has been a big inspiration to me with his various interesting projects that are tackled with a lot of care. Similarly Chris (@sirch) and his Tin Can Selfies which shows an imagination that I wish I could emulate. Simon's (@juggler) portraits are exceptional and the connection with his subjects often comes through in his work which (in my opinion) elevates it. My friend Iain (TP account lapsed) is a tireless street photographer working the town of... Sandbach... showing that you don't need a major city to do good street photography or find interesting people (Flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ammgramm/).

Nige (@FishyFish) continually turns out high quality interesting images and just taking a wander through his Flickr feed is a great source of inspiration to me. Same for Iain (@blakester) whose Flickr feed isn't all about strangers. Needs some new images on there Iain :)

Finally, as far as TP goes, @Andysnap is an inspiration, not just as a photographer, but as a jolly nice human being who told me about this place back in... what was it... 2010? Living proof that artistry can be down to earth and not "airy fairy" or "arty farty".

That's very kind of you Ian. Thank you.

Note that inspiration doesn't imply a wish to emulate, just a wish to try harder at your own path whatever it might turn out to be.

Exponents might vary from Philip Jones Griffiths to Lieko Shiga amongst a thousand others. Take your pick, no prejudice.

But some images (and by inference their makers) snatch at your intellect and / or gut in a way that wakes you. As in all realms of human perception, it's all relative one thing to another. But undoubtedly there are scales of significance ...

Last edited:

Thanks Ian, you have put me amongst some illustrious company and I'm not sure I am worthy. Also you have reminded me of people who's work and contributions to the greater good I admire and who had slipped my mind.

I wasn't expecting that! Thank you.

And thank you to everyone who has commented in my project threads as the advice, criticism and encouragement has not only been appreciated but kept them going at times of self-doubt. (y)

Which is how I read the OP.

What and who, on this wonderful TP site, inspires you to carry on with new ideas? Leaping & bounding with inspiration?

The TP52 Challenge inspires, or it did me. I did it for 4 years on the trot, it was fun too. ;)

I see super photos on here daily ... landscapes, BiF, all sorts but not the kind of photography I currently enjoy doing. Hmmm maybe when I retire to the country.

OK, you guys have been brave so I'll mention one I've recently "discovered" ... @Pomo ... some of his work, not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure. But it should make one think ...

Last edited:
There are people on here who's work I really enjoy, @swag72 's astro work, although living in NW England there is no point even trying with astro, @Neil Burnell 's work is excellent but again not something I actively try myself. @TheAndyA 's woodland photos are probably the nearest to anything I would attempt shoot myself but TBH I am more inspired by people like Nadav Kander, Gregory Crewdson and some of Jem Southam's work
Thank Chris, thats very kind of you :)

OK, you guys have been brave so I'll mention one I've recently "discovered" ... @Pomo ... some of his work, not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure. But it should make one think ...

Thanks for calling him to my attention. I'm very grateful for that - his work (sorry! - see "bored rigid" thread) is worth looking at and thinking about.

Some inspiring photographers I follow:

Woodland: Mark Littlejohn , Darren Ciolli Leach, Matt Dartford

Mono: Jeffrey Conley, Patrick Ems, Jonathan Critchley

Minimal: Bruce Percy , Rohan Reilly

I too always check out anything @Pomo posts and I like much of it but what's really inspiring is that he keeps on going despite the mixed reaction on here, he knows what he is doing and keeps doing it.

Some inspiring photographers I follow:
This brought me up short and made me wonder about the notion of 'following'. Do I follow anyone? Even after a quick scan along my bookshelves, I can't think of anybody. Of course certain names become familiar over time and I'm pleased when they crop up in print or on-line. But the term 'follow' seems a bit you-tubey. Maybe I'm too old for that kind of thing?

This brought me up short and made me wonder about the notion of 'following'. Do I follow anyone? Even after a quick scan along my bookshelves, I can't think of anybody. Of course certain names become familiar over time and I'm pleased when they crop up in print or on-line. But the term 'follow' seems a bit you-tubey. Maybe I'm too old for that kind of thing?

Probably shouldn't have used the word "follow", these are the guys I look at and find inspiring.

So are you saying you don't use the internet/social media to view and be inspired by other photographers work?

No-one if I'm honest - I generally use TP now for the banter and jokes forums, my inspiration comes from elsewhere

That's not to say there aren't some great togs on TP, its just not what I find this site is about for me

Dave

Spot on Dave, same for me!

No-one if I'm honest - I generally use TP now for the banter and jokes forums, my inspiration comes from elsewhere

That's not to say there aren't some great togs on TP, its just not what I find this site is about for me

Dave

I agree with you here Dave (I often do in fact, film vs digital debates aside) :p

I rarely contribute to the forum at all any more and haven't shared anything in quite a while, mainly because it's not very good and the images I like will possibly attract the more generic criticisms that can include but are not limited to....

- It's not on a third, therefore failed
- Whites are blown, therefore failed (It's almost impossible to blow whites completely on colour negative so this one I usually dismiss)
- There's blur, therefore failed
- It's ever so slightly out of focus, therefore failed
- Portaits must be a headshot and at >85mm and if any of those are deviated from, you have failed.

As I have gotten older and learned more about photography I have realised that largely, forums are creative cancer. Anyone pops up and does something different and they get quickly shot down by the old guard or whatever. As an aside, reading some of the threads when I have a little downtime makes me realise that I DO draw inspiration from some folk on here. Largely the ones who talk about light and moments and feelings and emotion and the things which actually make photography. I have also seen some of the very best photographers leave here and run very successful wedding businesses with images that were slated due to points mentioned above amongst other things.

I rarely contribute to the forum at all any more and haven't shared anything in quite a while, mainly because it's not very good and the images I like will possibly attract the more generic criticisms that can include but are not limited to....

- Whites are blown, therefore failed (It's almost impossible to blow whites completely on colour negative so this one I usually dismiss)
- Portaits must be a headshot and at >85mm and if any of those are deviated from, you have failed.

As I have gotten older and learned more about photography I have realised that largely, forums are creative cancer. Anyone pops up and does something different and they get quickly shot down by the old guard or whatever.
Are you suggesting TP is an on-line camera club? :exit:

Someone who inspires me at the moment is Alex Soth. Really like his work on the Magnum site and there's a great interview with him up there at the moment. In fact, I'd say that the Magnum boys and girls do the type of photography that most appeals to me. There's always a story there (and sometimes words to support the story, which I'm okay with). They seem to get inside the subject, be it a scene, a person, a location. The landscapes are always intriguing in a "I never knew the world was like that" kind of way.

Magnum aside, I also always enjoy journalistic photography, too. Some of that stuff is just awe-inspiring - when everyone else is hitting the deck the photographer calmly gets a cracking photograph of the crazy gunman!

I don't think I'll ever take a single shot in those genres, but to me, they're still what I look at for inspiration.

Totally agree on all of that, Gaz. I still have an old book "Photographs of the Century" and none of them (from memory) are technically perfect, but they are all classic moments in time and they are the photographs that have persisted.

I guess what I'm saying, is it's all about story for me.

Finally, I love MotoGP, and for all the technically perfect photos I think this is the best one I've seen this year. Mark Marques after winning his home GP:

https://photos.motogp.com/2019/09/2...V-WUVuP6wTLeejGv4znAWlARzshoXkZg-QdshWywiyuv4

Regards
Derek

I agree with you here Dave (I often do in fact, film vs digital debates aside) :p

As I have gotten older and learned more about photography I have realised that largely, forums are creative cancer. Anyone pops up and does something different and they get quickly shot down by the old guard or whatever. As an aside, reading some of the threads when I have a little downtime makes me realise that I DO draw inspiration from some folk on here. Largely the ones who talk about light and moments and feelings and emotion and the things which actually make photography. I have also seen some of the very best photographers leave here and run very successful wedding businesses with images that were slated due to points mentioned above amongst other things.

WOW - and I'm in total agreement here too (film aside lol)

On the 'failure points'

- I often put my couples (any subject really) dead centre, I feel its often more powerful that way
- I've always thought that the main subject, and emotion, is the subject and so long as that's correctly exposed (whatever that is as the author decides) the rest can do one; thankfully, its the same viewpoint as several well known togs I've since discovered too
- the same with blur and OoF. I recall spending a day with one of Hollywood's most successful togs where he waxed lyrical about a particular shot, it was truly powerful and (manliness aside) tear jerking, yet he admitted it was also both a bit blurred and a bit OoF. It was panned in competitions of course, but was a firm fav with the couple and a big print seller I believe for the couple. It was beautiful
- one of the few togs I do 'follow' (not really follow so much as take note of when I see his work) is well known for shooting portraits on a 24mm or wider lens, often with on-camera flash too

So yes, the older you get and the more you learn the more you realise the image is all that really matters and what that images conveys, the how you shot it doesn't really matter and the 'rules' become guidelines at best towards an 'average' shot that most will appreciate for the conformity to what they learnt 10 mins ago

Photography appreciation is a bit like wine appreciation, at first its odd and hard to swallow. Once you grasp the fundamentals you start to appreciate it more. That leads to ever 'finer' wines and increased costs. You become a bit of a wine geek, you appreciate the length, the tanins, the nose, etc. Then the final stage is that you realise all that matters is that you like it and it gets you p***ed - the cheaper & easier that happens the better :)

Dave

Are you suggesting TP is an on-line camera club? :exit:

I didn't say that literally but now you mention it. :p

Someone who inspires me at the moment is Alex Soth. Really like his work on the Magnum site and there's a great interview with him up there at the moment. In fact, I'd say that the Magnum boys and girls do the type of photography that most appeals to me. There's always a story there (and sometimes words to support the story, which I'm okay with). They seem to get inside the subject, be it a scene, a person, a location. The landscapes are always intriguing in a "I never knew the world was like that" kind of way.

Magnum aside, I also always enjoy journalistic photography, too. Some of that stuff is just awe-inspiring - when everyone else is hitting the deck the photographer calmly gets a cracking photograph of the crazy gunman!

I don't think I'll ever take a single shot in those genres, but to me, they're still what I look at for inspiration.

Totally agree on all of that, Gaz. I still have an old book "Photographs of the Century" and none of them (from memory) are technically perfect, but they are all classic moments in time and they are the photographs that have persisted.

I guess what I'm saying, is it's all about story for me.

Finally, I love MotoGP, and for all the technically perfect photos I think this is the best one I've seen this year. Mark Marques after winning his home GP:

https://photos.motogp.com/2019/09/2...V-WUVuP6wTLeejGv4znAWlARzshoXkZg-QdshWywiyuv4

Regards
Derek

Bloody Marquez! One of the best MotoGP riders I have ever seen yet for some reason, I can't take to him.

Totally with you on older images though. My shelf is growing weekly with amazing books with another ordered today (Magnum Streetwise)

WOW - and I'm in total agreement here too (film aside lol)

On the 'failure points'

- I often put my couples (any subject really) dead centre, I feel its often more powerful that way
- I've always thought that the main subject, and emotion, is the subject and so long as that's correctly exposed (whatever that is as the author decides) the rest can do one; thankfully, its the same viewpoint as several well known togs I've since discovered too
- the same with blur and OoF. I recall spending a day with one of Hollywood's most successful togs where he waxed lyrical about a particular shot, it was truly powerful and (manliness aside) tear jerking, yet he admitted it was also both a bit blurred and a bit OoF. It was panned in competitions of course, but was a firm fav with the couple and a big print seller I believe for the couple. It was beautiful
- one of the few togs I do 'follow' (not really follow so much as take note of when I see his work) is well known for shooting portraits on a 24mm or wider lens, often with on-camera flash too

So yes, the older you get and the more you learn the more you realise the image is all that really matters and what that images conveys, the how you shot it doesn't really matter and the 'rules' become guidelines at best towards an 'average' shot that most will appreciate for the conformity to what they learnt 10 mins ago

Photography appreciation is a bit like wine appreciation, at first its odd and hard to swallow. Once you grasp the fundamentals you start to appreciate it more. That leads to ever 'finer' wines and increased costs. You become a bit of a wine geek, you appreciate the length, the tanins, the nose, etc. Then the final stage is that you realise all that matters is that you like it and it gets you p***ed - the cheaper & easier that happens the better :)

Dave

Yes, exactly my points, Dave. Glad you agree. Who was the photographer you refer to out of interest?
My girlfriend is a (very good) art teacher and as such, she believes like I do that creativity is educated out of people which is such a shame. Edward Weston said that "consulting the laws of composition before taking a photo is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk".

I could talk for hours, or post lengthy threads about my thoughts on things like this but I won't, especially at risk of derailing threads. For example, in your thread about the impact of mirrorless on weddings and number of images delivered, but this isn't the time.

Who was the photographer you refer to out of interest?

If you mean the Hollywood chap - Joe Buissink - the opening shot on his website is the shot I referred to ... http://www.joebuissink.com/

Pity you're so far away, I'd like a meet-up over a few beers after a photo shoot to chat :)

Dave

If you mean the Hollywood chap - Joe Buissink - the opening shot on his website is the shot I referred to ... http://www.joebuissink.com/

Pity you're so far away, I'd like a meet-up over a few beers after a photo shoot to chat :)

Dave

I had a feeling you would say Joe Buissink. He was one of my inspirations when I was a wanna be wedding photographer. He still shoots some film too. :D All about the moments and shoots in P mode IIRC because moments are more important than settings.

And yes, like many before him in eluding Ross Harvey, his images would get slated on here.

Yes, that would be good. Not a million miles away so if you're ever up in the lakes or whatever, I am happy to travel a little way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a feeling you would say Joe Buissink. He was one of my inspirations when I was a wanna be wedding photographer. He still shoots some film too. :D All about the moments and shoots in P mode IIRC because moments are more important than settings.

Yes, that would be good. Not a million miles away so if you're ever up in the lakes or whatever, I am happy to travel a little way.

Yep - P-mode - and made a bloody good argument for it too :)

Errr Lakes? I shoot 90% of my Wedding in the Lakes now, and we're planning on moving closer (above Lancs but below Carnforth) early next year. I moved my business to the Lakes prior to a physical move; I was there yesterday and will be again next week :)

That pint(s) may well happen :)

Dave

Back