What is 100% vs 1:1 vs Actual Size in lightroom/photoshop?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I've always thought that viewing at 100% was viewing at 1:1, which seemed to be confirmed by the fact that if I choose to view actual size it's the same as 100%. However if I export the image and view on my Mac (using preview) and choose view actual size (CMD+0) it's far more 'zoomed in' and is actually the same as viewing at 200% in lightroom/photoshop.

Why is there this discrepancy and which is "true"?

There's no such thing as actual size but you knew that, right?). 1:1 is 1 image pixel to 1 screen pixel, and the image size depends on screen resolution. an image at 1:1 on this 15" QHD laptop will be much smaller than 1:1 on the 27" QHD monitor upstairs.

Actual size requires defining a pixel pitch in relation to a physical dimension: 72ppi for example.

There's no such thing as actual size but you knew that, right?). 1:1 is 1 image pixel to 1 screen pixel, and the image size depends on screen resolution. an image at 1:1 on this 15" QHD laptop will be much smaller than 1:1 on the 27" QHD monitor upstairs.

Actual size requires defining a pixel pitch in relation to a physical dimension: 72ppi for example.
Thanks. So I know that 1:1 is 1 pixel to 1 pixel which is why an image will ‘zoom in’ more on a low mp screen compared to a screen with high mp.

However, actual size I don’t understand tbh, and I don’t understand why actual size in Lightroom is different to that in preview when viewed on the same screen?

So when zooming to 100% in Lightroom/PS you’re definitely viewing 1 image pixel per screen pixel?

I've always thought that viewing at 100% was viewing at 1:1, which seemed to be confirmed by the fact that if I choose to view actual size it's the same as 100%. However if I export the image and view on my Mac (using preview) and choose view actual size (CMD+0) it's far more 'zoomed in' and is actually the same as viewing at 200% in lightroom/photoshop.

Why is there this discrepancy and which is "true"?
Maybe this will explain it.

Maybe this will explain it.

Thanks, so basically most viewers aren’t actually showing you actual size, they are showing a standardised size which on high density screens means you’re going to see something much larger? Brilliant :rolleyes:

Back