What is a decent range for a 'walkabout' lens?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get a decent quality Canon fit lens for event photography.

1st question is what would be a good focal range for this subject and 2nd is any recommendations? (Doesn't have to be Canon)

If you need more specific details just holla...I'm gently dipping my toe in the water.

18-200......................................Tamron :innocent:

regards

stepheno said:
18-200......................................Tamron :innocent:

regards

This one would be about the right range I think (Tamron 28-200)
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/a03.asp

I'm aiming for the Canon 17-40L at a later stage and could always stick a teleconvertor to this Tamron and do away with the Canon 75-300?
The 17-40L, the Tamron and my nifty fifty would be a better setup than what I have now right?

I think you will have to check the F stop on the Tamron as from memory it is not that fast and if you then add a convertor to it you will lose AF.

All from memory though so please check. ;)

Bachs said:
This one would be about the right range I think (Tamron 28-200)
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/a03.asp

I'm aiming for the Canon 17-40L at a later stage and could always stick a teleconvertor to this Tamron and do away with the Canon 75-300?
The 17-40L, the Tamron and my nifty fifty would be a better setup than what I have now right?

Just a thought, why don't you get your 17-40L first and use your £70.00 voucher before it runs out at the end of the month. That's if you still have it. :)

What does 'event photography' mean? If it means shooting a poorly lit stage then I would have thought lens speed was the main consideration.

If it is daytime walkaround then an ultrazoom may be an answer. Think I would need some convincing an 18-200 range lens was going to produce worthwhile results. And no - I have not looked at any reviews so could quite easily be wrong.

On another forum a post about the sigma and tamron 18-200 said:

if you can get last December's Outdoor Photography magazine, there was a test of both the lenses.

Quote from magazine:
"The Tamron is a bit soft at the long end of it's range as is the Sigma, but when they measured the focal length the Sigma was found to have a real range of 18-155mm. The focusing of the Tamron was noisy and that of the Sigma oversensitive. The Sigma is very sharp from about 18mm to 50mm, but very soft at the telephoto end."

The Canon 17-40L is an excellent lens (on my 10D as the standard lens for the last year or so), not really appreciated until you print a few photos and realise just how much detail has been captured.

If a voucher is available maybe a good buy, but not what bachs is asking for !

Maybe canon make an affordable 28-200 thats OK?

Mark.

RobertP said:
What does 'event photography' mean?

Mostly daylight events but I do have a floodlit nighttime gig in a few months but can use flash this time.

I just dropped a clanger.
I ordered a secondhand Tamron 28-200 from an ebay private seller using the buy now option.
Yet again I didn't read through properly and clicked the contact seller for shipping details button then noticed he would ship to US only.

FFS :doh:

Do you think he will still go ahead?
What a numpty I am

Just send him a note saying sorry for waisting his time, you didn't see that he would mail only to US. If he is reasonable that should be the end of it.

Steve said:
Just send him a note saying sorry for waisting his time, you didn't see that he would mail only to US. If he is reasonable that should be the end of it.

Just received a message from him asking me for a verified US address it can be forwarded to.

I've apologized profusely and as I understand it, it the contract is cancelled mutually, he gets a relist credit and I don't get a black mark.

Jessops here I come I think :embarasse

Its just another lesson learned mate. :) We have all been there and made mistakes just like you. Don't let it put you off finding a bargain on Ebay though.

Mark Grant said:
No price specified, so you must be loaded :)

How about Canon 28-300 L IS
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012901canon28300is.asp

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=217&sort=7&cat=27&page=3

All the range you need in one lens (looks a bit heavy though)

Around £1600 :shock:

Mark.

It is a heavy beast.

A mate has one , and sold all his lenses to fund it. Seems happy with it, but I think it spends a large amount of its life on a tripod.

Im a stocky 6ft 3 and i could feel it pulling on my back when i was holding it!

Back